What can I do if I’m 16 and pregnant with a 23 year old and my parents pressed charges? 4 Answers as of October 23, 2013

My boyfriend is 23 I'm 16 and I'm pregnant. My parents have known for a while that we are together and I have the possibility of being pregnant. What can I do now that my parents are deciding to press charges?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
If you live in Michigan and the sex did not start until you were 16 then the parents can do nothing. 16 is the age of consent in Michigan.? This varies from State to State.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/23/2013
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
Your parents have the right to press charges. It is illegal for a 23 year old to have sexual relations with a 16 year old. Your boy friend faces major criminal problems here. It is very unfortunate that you find yourself in this situation and my heart goes out to you. There are wonderful programs for young unmarried mothers which may help you work through the many issues that you will face. Most schools have guidance counselors who can help you. Your family may also wish to reach out to a family lawyer with expertise in this area. And many religious organizations provide assistance and guidance. While I understand how hard this is for you, your family is going to be very important to you in the years to come, and you need to find a way to work through these difficult issues with your parents-you need them now more than ever.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/21/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/21/2013
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
There is nothing you can do. Even though you don't want to hear this, I'm going to say it anyway. You are way too young to be with a 23 year old. I don't care who he is, who you are, how much you love each other, etc. You are way, way too young. You are also putting him in legal jeopardy. How will you feel when he has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: