What can I do if I was locked up for second-degree property damage and we’re moving out the same day of court? 12 Answers as of October 25, 2012

I’m moving to Germany on November 22 but have court on the 21st. I sold my house and start moving my things there. My wife is there and I’m just packing up the last part of the house.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
You can't move to Germany.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/25/2012
Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
If it is in California and it is charged as a misdemeanor, you can hire a private lawyer to appear for you. If it is a felony, you will have to make an initial appearance but a private lawyer can submit a 977 waiver for your appearance for future court events. The charge you listed can be either felony or misdemeanor but is usually charged as misdemeanor unless there are egregious circumstances.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/23/2012
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Have you told your lawyer about this? Maybe something can be worked out. Have you paid restitution? If you have done this it makes the judge a lot more flexible in his sentencing.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/23/2012
Law Office of John Schum, LLC
Law Office of John Schum, LLC | John Schum
If you are contesting the matter, you are going to have to make arrangements to either stay or go and return provided the Judge allows you to leave the jurisdiction. If you are willing to resolve this with some sort of plea, this can probably be handled quickly and you may be able to wrap it up before you depart. That would be challenging but not impossible. You would need to have your attorney start working this immediately.
Answer Applies to: Hawaii
Replied: 10/23/2012
Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
Hire a lawyer as they may possibly be able to resolve the case in your absence. If you are on bond you'll probably need court permission to leave the state.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 10/23/2012
    Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
    There's not much you can. You must appear in court on the date scheduled or else the judge will issue a bench warrant for your arrest on a failure to appear charge. I strongly suggest that you contact an experienced criminal law attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your case. He/she would then be in a better position to analyze your case and advise you of your options.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/23/2012
    Burton Guidry
    Burton Guidry | Burton P. Guidry
    Show up for court. If not a warrant will be issued for your arrest and you may not make it through the airport. You can get permission to travel from the court through a lawyer. I would not miss court.
    Answer Applies to: Louisiana
    Replied: 10/23/2012
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Hire a lawyer and see if you can resolve the case on that day.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 10/23/2012
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    You have an open criminal charge. You were given a bond with the understanding that you would appear in court when directed. If you miss your court date you will have a bench warrant issued for your arrest. If you are in Germany for 10 years that is great. When you return to the US you will be taken into custody on the warrant. If you travel from Germany to Canada, the warrant will appear and you may be taken into custody. I already know you have had months to get this matter resolved, and have made no moves to resolve it before you left. So, the only thing you can do now is retain an attorney to apprise the court, and resolve the case in your absence.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 10/23/2012
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh
    Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
    Then a warrant will be issued for your arrest, unless you hire an attorney, who can go to court on the 22nd without you.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/23/2012
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Your legal troubles need to be addressed before you leave. If you do not do so, you could be denied reentry.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 10/23/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney