What can I do if I was injured after slipping at a hotel? 28 Answers as of November 06, 2012

At 5:30 pm I was relaxing in this major hotel chain pool area spa. I got out of the hot tub and looked for the men's room. The two doors I checked were locked. Walking back to the main area, I slipped. My feet came out from under me. I fell hard and backwards. I hit my head on a stone tile surface and cracked it open. My body felt limp as I could not get up or control any movement to get up. I did sit up and a house phone was next to me. They sent up a guy who helped clean the massive amount of blood. Loss prevention spoke to me. I went to emergency and eventually receive 10 staples to close the wound. My right side of my neck is in periodic great pain (a 9 out of 10). Sleep is choppy at best. I feel the hotel did not warn of slick floors and should require shoes or get a new floor.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Patrick M Lamar Attorney
Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
Slip and fall law is not what people really think it is. You must prove you fell because of a condition which you could not have discerned on your own. Slick floors in a pool area are sort of a given. I think it would be very difficult if not impossible to recover under these circumstances.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 3/9/2011
Law Office of Dewey N. Hayes, Jr., PC
Law Office of Dewey N. Hayes, Jr., PC | Dewey N. Hayes
Contact me personally or a trial lawyer n your area . the question will be if hotel had superior knowledge you probably need an expert pool man or engineer to give opinion that tile not suitable for pool area to survive summary judgment , but a lot of these more serious cases may be resolved early with good legal representation.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/8/2011
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Warn of slick floor? Slick how? slick why? What kind of floor? Wet or dry? Have you talked with engineer or builder or any other expert about the floor? What state are you in? where is the hotel? Call me 704 372 8322. How much are your medical bills? What does the dr say about the injury? Has anyone put the hotel on notice? Have you had any conversations with an adjuster?
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 3/8/2011
Fox Law Firm LLC
Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
I would need more information, but it seems you may have a personal injury claim. If you would like to call the office to discuss in more detail please do so.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/8/2011
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
This is a slip & fall case, and liability in CT will take into account whether the hotel had notice of the defect and an opportunity to fix it or failed to follow its cleaning procedures. Please contact us if you wish to discuss further; we have a free initial consultation. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 3/8/2011
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
    You potentially have a case but an investigation of the circumstances is needed to give a definitive answer. Example, any complaints or problems there before? Why were doors locked?
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 3/8/2011
    Kirshner & Groff
    Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
    Call me if you would like to discuss further.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/7/2011
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Joel Ewusiak
    Slip and fall cases can be difficult to litigate. If you are able to prove that the hotel is liable for negligence, then you can recover damages for your past and future medical bills, past and future lost wages, and pain and suffering. You should consult with an attorney. Generally, most lawyers will handle a slip and fall case on a contingent basis. The lawyer will take a percentage of the recovery, plus costs. Keep in mind that all claims, including yours, are subject to a limitation period; that is, the claim must be brought within a certain period of time or is forever barred. In Florida, negligence claims are subject to a four year limitation period.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 2/17/2012
    Law Office of Curry & Westgate
    Law Office of Curry & Westgate | Patrick Curry
    slip and fall cases are difficult, you need a good attorney who deals with this type of case. It all comes down to notice. Did the hotel know of the slippery conditions?
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/7/2011
    Leone, Throwe, Teller, & Nagle
    Leone, Throwe, Teller, & Nagle | Adam J. Teller
    You should see an attorney to evaluate your claim as soon as possible, before talking any further to the hotel or its representatives or insurers. In Connecticut, a hotel has a duty to make its premises reasonably safe for patrons. The hotel is responsible for any dangerous condition it creates, or has knowledge of, fails to reasonably warn about or take reasonable steps to protect the patron from. However, a hotel is not an insurer for all injuries which occur on their premises, and patrons are also responsible to take reasonable care for their own safety.

    When my office evaluates slip and fall cases, we consider such factors as the exact nature of the dangerous condition/defect of the premises and how that condition was created; what caused the fall; whether the fall and/or the dangerous condition was documented and whether the management knew or should have known of the conditions; whether the client was aware of the danger and took reasonable care; the seriousness of the injury; whether the fall has caused permanent impairments; the amount of the present/future lost wages and medical expenses; and whether any insurer (including Medicaid or Medicare) must be repaid for medical expenses from any settlement. If the case is viable based on these factors, we take on the case and pursue it vigorously to recovery. If your fall took place in Connecticut, please consider contacting my office for an evaluation of your case and to discuss representation.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 3/7/2011
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C.
    Theodore W. Robinson, P.C. | Theodore W. Robinson
    Yes, you have a righteous claim for negligence against the hotel chain. Consult with a negligence attorney near you.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/7/2011
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    There might be a case here but investigation is necessary as floors around pools are inherently dangerous. If there are no signs posted warning people of the slippery floors there may be case. We will have to look at the pool area to determine whether the area was properly posted with warnings.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 3/7/2011
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    This is a hard case to win. You have to show that the hotel was negligent. You may have to have an expert (architect, some other safety expert) examine the floor and determine if unsafe materials were used (ie. Materials that are unduly slick when wet). One thing that makes it difficult is it will be hard to argued that the hotel failed to warn about the floor being wet as anyone getting out of a hot tub dripping wet would know that the floor is wet. You should try to find a personal injury lawyer who is willing to take t your case. I would be happy to look at it.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 3/7/2011
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    I agree. I think you should speak with an attorney. Please do so quickly so that the attorney can send an "evidence spoliation" letter to the hotel to preserve any surveillance video of the pool area.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 3/7/2011
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
    Generally, a person has two years from the date of the accident in Ohio to file a lawsuit and/or resolve the claim; however, I would not wait that long to contact an attorney and begin investigating your claim. While "slip and fall" claims can be very difficult to win, early and thorough investigation can help improve your likelihood of recovery. I would recommend contacting an attorney as soon as possible to discuss the facts of your case in further detail.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 11/6/2012
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    This is not a question that can be simply answered online like this. You can bring a claim against the hotel if the hotel either did something they shouldn't have done, or they didn't do something they should have done (negligence). In this case, I would strongly advise you to consult with a good personal injury lawyer who can refer you to a good personal injury lawyer in the county where the accident occurred (if it was out of state; if it was in-state, that lawyer can probably help you).
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/7/2011
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    You may have a good case. Be very careful talking to them or their adjusters. They only interview you to hurt your case. There are basically three ways to win a premises liability case. Call me before you talk to the insurance company or call another injury attorney. You can also look at our website under slip and fall. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 3/6/2011
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
    You can bring a claim for your injuries against the hotel and any other company that was involved in the installation and cleaning etc of the floor. But the defendants may argue you knew a wet floor would be slippery to prevent you from recovery. In the end a jury may have to decide. You need to obtain an attorney soon to help you & file suit before the statute of limitations!
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Replied: 3/6/2011
    David B. Sacks, P.A.
    David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
    Was the cause of the fall that your feet were still wet and the floor was made out of some sort of slick material, i.e. smooth tile? If that is the case, then you will have a claim but there are many more complicating factors too numerous to discuss via email.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/6/2011
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    You need to call a personal injury attorney so they get you medical treatment and a settlement.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/6/2011
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 3/6/2011
    William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
    William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
    Yes, you can file suit.
    Answer Applies to: Tennessee
    Replied: 3/6/2011
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Cary J. Wintroub
    Several matters need to be answered before I can fully respond. What caused you to fall? How far were you from the spa? Were your feet wet from pool? Was water tracked to area you fell? Please respond so I can answer your inquiry.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 3/6/2011
    Klisz Law Office, PLLC
    Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
    I think there may certainly be a case here, but it really depends on the extent of your damages. It sounds like you are still treating, and you certainly should. Click on my link to your left and call me to discuss in further detail.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/6/2011
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    First, the hotel should pay for you medical expenses at the very minimum. Slip and fall lawsuits are difficult to prove and disfavored by the courts. If you wanted to carry it forward you would need to hire an expert to examine the coefficiency of friction at that location to be able to prove it constitutes a dangerous condition.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/6/2011
    Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
    Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
    If you believe the hotel or its staff were negligent, and that their negligence caused your injury, you can file a personal injury lawsuit for damages. Of course, they will likely argue that the took reasonable precautions to prevent such accidents...
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/6/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 5 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney