What can I do if I was hurt at work? 26 Answers as of October 28, 2011

I was hurt at work and it caused me to have blurry double vision for the rest of my life. What is the amount I should ask for when I file a claim? It changed the shape of my eye blurred, vision and headaches.

Worker's compensation claims are governed by mandated formula. If you have a permanent injury, you may be able to get a "schedule award". Your eye doctor would have to say that you have permantly lost "X" percent of your vision, then that percentage is applied to a certain number of weeks of your average weekly wage. Your employer has the opportunity to have you examined by an eye doctor that they hire to determine if they agree with your eye doctor's findings.
Timothy Jones, Attorney at Law
Timothy Jones, Attorney at Law | Timothy Jones
Depending on the facts of the accident, you have either a workers compensation claim or what is called a "third party claim". The process and outcomes differ greatly between the two. A workers compensation claim is subject to an administrative proceeding in which rules govern virtually every aspect of your claim, including damages. A third party claim is a more mainstream civil matter with the right to a jury trial.
The Unger Law Firm
The Unger Law Firm | Jeffrey Unger
In Missouri, workplace injuries are resolved through the Worker's Compensation Act, and it is most commonly your only avenue of recovery. I would recommend that you contact an experienced worker's compensation attorney, such as myself, as soon as possible, as the statute of limitations for filing worker's compensation claims is only two years.
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
If you were hurt at work generally your exclusive remedy is workers compensation. Please contact a workers compensation attorney to see what rights and claims you may have.
Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry
Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry | Ronald Arthur Lowry
You need to file for workers' compensation immediately. There is a statute of limitations of 1 year as well as other notice requirements. Get a workers' compensation lawyer ASAP.
    Hire an attorney to handle your worker's compensation claim; there is a schedule based upon your injury and he or she would know exactly what you would be entitled to. Just make sure you hire an attorney who has handled a lot of workers compensation cases (hopefully board certified in workers comp)
    Law Office of Mark P. Miller | Mark Miller
    If you were hurt at work you need to file a Worker's Compensation claim. In Colorado there is a two year statute of limitations, meaning something has to have been done within two years. If you are outside of the two years you are precluded from filing a claim. You'd have to go through company doctors for at least 6 months of treatment provided the company through its insurance company accepts responsibility for your condition.
    You may have a worker's compensation claim to be made.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C.
    The Law Office of Josh Lamborn, P.C. | Josh Lamborn
    Workplace injuries are covered by worker's compensation insurance. You should visit an attorney that specializes in worker's comp. If no worker's comp insurance at your employment then visit a personal injury attorney. Only after a careful analysis of all of the facts, including who the defendant is, how presentable you are as a plaintiff, an analysis of the medical records and maybe some expert opinions, should an attorney be able to tell you how much to demand for your injury.
    Richard E. Lewis, P.S.
    Richard E. Lewis, P.S. | Richard Eugene Lewis
    You must immediately file a report with Labor and industries, sometimes referred to as a Worker's Compensation claim. The amount you receive will depend on what amount of your vision is compromised.You should definitely seek legal counsel.
    Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A.
    Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A. | Orman Kimbrough, Esq.
    Usually, an employer is required to have workers' compensation insurance that would cover many of your expenses and lost income. However, there are exceptions to this law. Also, you may also have a viable claim against others who may be responsible for your losses. My recommendation is for you to contact an Orlando Personal Injury attorney as soon as possible who can give you specific advice after reviewing all of the particulars of your case and then that person may be able to answer specific questions which you have.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    There is no amount to "ask for." It will depend on what your loss of access to the job market turns out to be. This is determined by doctors and vocational experts. You first must prove the vision problem actually was caused by your work. See a compensation attorney now.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    If you were injured on the job you are entitled to worker's compensation through your employer. In New York, because your remedy is worker's compensation, you can not sue your employer for negligence. You are entitled to both medical benefits and lost time from work, under the worker's compensation schedule. If you have not already done so, I suggest that you contact an attorney to represent you in this matter. Without further information on how the incident occurred it could not be determined whether you have a third party claim, (if there was negligence committed by someone other that your employer you can bring a case against that entity).
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Retain a plaintiff's worker's compensation attorney for advice and legal representation regarding your job accident. That attorney should seek all allowable relief for you under the state law including permanent impairment for your blurry vision.
    This is a worker compensation claim. You should be under a doctors care paid for by the employer, it is not a matter for you to decide what to ask for. In a comp claim what you get is based on what the doctor says about permanent disability (if any), what your average weekly wages are. pretty much cut and dried. If you have bad injuries and you are not seeing a doctor authorized by the comp carrier you are making a big mistake.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    Your recourse for workplace injuries is the Department of Labor and Industries. http://www.lni.wa.gov/. RCW 51 (http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=51). They have standard amounts for various types of claims. If a dispute arises about their determination of your claim, it is possible to challenge their rulings in the court (for which you would need an attorney).
    You need to retain a lawyer to tell you how much to ask for. It depends on your average weekly wage, what impairment rating, if any, the doctor assigned to your eye, and how the injured eye affects you vocationally.
    Oliver Law Office
    Oliver Law Office | Jami Oliver
    The value of blurry vision is a complicated question that really needs to be answered after a thorough consultation and review of your medical history.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    You really need to discuss your case with a work comp lawyer near you. That is much to specific of a question to be answered without all of the facts surrounding your situation.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    Workers compensation law would govern here and there would be computation based on maximum amount of benefits due.
    The Law Firm of Shawn M. Murray
    The Law Firm of Shawn M. Murray | Shawn M. Murray
    It's really not possible to value a claim without knowing all the specific facts, i.e. what future medical treatment you will likely require, what your doctor has determined your permanent impairment rating to be and what your loss of wage-earning capacity is, if any. Additionally, as a general rule you only have one year from the date of your accident to file your claim.
    It depends how you got hurt. First, you have a Workers Compensation claim. But, you may also have a more valuable claim if you were hurt through the fault of someone other than your employer or a co-employee of the same employer. Meet with a personal injury attorney to figure that out.
    Eftekhari Law Offices
    Eftekhari Law Offices | Ehsan Eftekhari
    For the 100% loss of one eye, you are compensated 150 weeks of disability. To calculate the amount you are entitled to, you have to multiply 150 x 2/3rd of your weekly salary. Insurance companies will fight you on the 100 disability part. I highly recommend you retain an attorney and don't go it alone. Also, an attorney could determine whether there is a third-party defendant who may be liable for the injury to your eyes. You will be better off with an attorney than without one.
    You have a Workers Compensation claim and the amount you receive is set by statute, unless and until you want to settle out the entire case and such a settlement can be negotiated.