What can I do if I was given a six month B1 visa instead of a 2 years B1 visa? 4 Answers as of February 03, 2011

I was given a six months B1 visa instead of 2 years. Can I call the US embassy and tell them they made a mistake?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
What country are you from? Each country has a reciprocity schedule on the maximum they can give. If this is your first B and they are concerned about you returning they sometimes give a shorter period consistent with your travel needs per your discussion with them. Usual rule is to give the Reciprocity period though. Here is the link and you can look up your country: http://travel.state.gov/visa/fees/fees_3272.html
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/3/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Not really. But you can apply for a new B-1 visa when you return to your home country again. It sounds like you are saying that you applied for a tourist visa and requested 2 years, but they only gave you a visa for 6 months. It is to the discretion of the State Department at the U.S. Embassy to issue visas and of course, the length of the visa. I don't know what reason you gave for needing to visit, but I normally that reason is taken into account when issuing the visa.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/27/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
The consulate has the authority to issue a B1/B2 for less than two years if if believes that is all the time needed for you to accomplish what you indicated you need the visa for. You can file to renew the visa if you need to travel to the U.S. again.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/27/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
They have discretion to give you visa for certain length of time. You can apply again after it expires. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: