What can I do if I was falsely accused of assault? 7 Answers as of August 15, 2011

My wife has a severe anxiety disorder. And when an argument got out of hand she wanted me to move out and get divorced. I told her I would not and she replied she would call the cops and make something up. My response was "ok, if you want to bully me, then half this stuff is mine too." As I was taking stuff she knocked me down. I called the police, she fled the scene, they pulled her over, brought her back to the house, she said she thought I was knocking furniture over is why she knocked me down and then said I grabbed her a couple days ago. I didn't. I was arrested and facing Assault 4. My public defender is impossible to communicate with. What options do I have?

Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
If you are not happy with the public defender, you can hire an attorney of your choice. I usually charge around $2500 for this type of case.
Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law
Michael Maltby, Attorney at Law | Michael Maltby
You can try to get your public defender replaced or hire an attorney on your own. This is a highly defensible case, but you need an attorney you can communicate with and one that will work for you.You certainly don't want to plead guilty. If you don't get an offer you can live with short of trial then this is the kind of case you want to take before a jury be cause this is a "he said, she said" case and without any injuries or other good evidence the jury would have a hard time rendering a guilty verdict. Good luck.
Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law
Eric J Schurman, Attorney at Law | Eric James Schurman
You can hire your own attorney.
Leyba Defense, PLLC
Leyba Defense, PLLC | Matthew Leyba
You can try and work it out with your public defender, or you can hire a private attorney to defend you against this false claims.
Your only real option is to set the case for trial or hire a private attorney. The public defender must abide by your wishes. If you don't want to plead guilty, and I wouldn't under these circumstances, you just have to dig your heels in and insist on dismissal or trial.
    John Segelbaum, P.S.
    John Segelbaum, P.S. | John Segelbaum
    Your option is to retain a private attorney if you are dissatisfied with the public defender, assuming you have the funds to do so.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    Many public defenders have supervisors so you could address your concern to your lawyer's supervisor. Mike