What can I do if I was caught stealing and it is my first offense? 5 Answers as of June 06, 2011

I was caught at jcpenney. The things I took was about $150 max.... my friend took a whole lot. Since we were together I’m getting charged for her things too. This is my first offense...I’m 18yrs old and need help on what might happen in court.... I don’t want this on my record.

Law Office of Mark A. Chmelewski, PS
Law Office of Mark A. Chmelewski, PS | Mark A. Chmelewski
You need to retain an attorney to represent and protect your interests. Accomplice liability would allow prosecutor to charge you with theft committed by friend if you aided in his/her crime.
Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC
Lisa Mulligan Law Offices, LLC | Lisa Mulligan
It's hard to predict what will ultimately happen with your case, but your lack of criminal history is a great thing in your favor. You should talk to the public defender assigned to your case before your arraignment, or hire a local attorney who can tell you more about what to expect. Please feel free to give me a call if you have any questions!
Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
What jurisdiction are you in? This will have a huge impact on how the prosecutors handle your case.
Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
It may be possible to keep this off your record and the best way to explore those options is to talk to a public defender or private criminal defense lawyer. The court the case is filed in has a lot to do with the possible options available to you. Mike Morgan
Law Office of James A Schoenberger
Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
Some counties in Washington, like Pierce, have diversion programs for first time offenders charged with small thefts including shoplifting. The case is dismissed either before participation or after successful completion and will show on your record as a dismissal. In Pierce County it is the El Cid program. You should ask for your case to be referred to a diversion program if one is available where your case is pending.