What can I do if I was arrested for marijuana? 16 Answers as of April 22, 2015

I got pulled over for speeding. When the officer came over to my, he said that he could smell marijuana in the car. He asked if he could search and I let him. He found a small bag of marijuana and I was arrested. This is my first offense. What should I do?

Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Ask for diversion.
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
Hire an experienced attorney to represent you.
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
You should try to retain an experience criminal lawyer to represent you. If you cannot afford the lawyer you could at least go in for a free consultation. You may qualify for a diversion program. Contact an attorney today for a consultation. If your case is in the Tampa Bay area, contact my office and we can talk about your options.
What state do you live in?
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
Hire a lawyer. Some counties (like Harris County) have special programs for first offenders with small amounts that leads to dismissals. Or, perhaps a pre-trial diversion. If you cannot get either of those then deferred adjudication probation.
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    Your consent to search makes a suppression motion difficult. NJ has a diversionary program for marijuana offenders called conditional discharge. Upon paying the fines and successfully completing probation, the charges will be dismissed.
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD
    Mace J. Yampolsky, LTD | Mace Yampolsky
    Hire a lawyer .If it is a small amount of marijuana, He will probably be able to get it dismissed but you most likely will need to attend some sort of drug court
    You should hire a lawyer and get this relatively minor charge dismissed. By yourself you're going to get a criminal record, and it isn't worth it.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    Go back in time and don't give him consent to search your car. You need to fight the stop. Do you have a Ned marijuana card?
    Anderson Law Office
    Anderson Law Office | Scott L. Anderson
    You should contact an attorney asap! There may be a way to keep it off of your record.
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    You should contact an attorney to represent you on these matters. They can work to avoid points and a conviction on your record and can work to help you avoid any jail time as well.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    There are a couple of different scenarios in Arizona when you are arrested for personal possession of marijuana. If the case is charged as a Class 6 Felony, you have no priors, and there are no other charges with it, then you will likely be offered a Diversion program called TASC. If it is charged as a Class 1 Misdemeanor then sometimes they do not offer Diversion unfortunately. Contact a qualified attorney to go over all of your options but make sure to look in the mail for a Summons or notice to appear in court and attend all of your court dates. Also, make sure that the MVD and court have your up to date address so that you get any notices that are sent out.
    You should retain an attorney. S/he can likely get a Stipulate of Continuance where you pay a fine, do community service, have a drug and alcohol evaluation and take any required treatment, have no further law violations and be on probation for one year. You can expunge your record afterwards.
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Jerry Lee Wallentine Jr.
    Marijuana is typically a misdemeanor for a first time charge, unless it is a significant amount or if they believe you were selling it. Whether it is charged as a misdemeanor or a felony, it is serious and you should let an experienced criminal defense attorney handle it for you.
    Get an attorney and attempt to mitigate your damages, and avoid a drug charge on your permanent record. In the mean time speak with no one about the incident excerpt your attorney.
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    You should get in touch with a local criminal defense lawyer who can help to explain your options.