What can I do if I was arrested because the other party falsified/lied to the court to get the warrant for a small claims civil matter? 5 Answers as of March 13, 2014

I was arrested and a civil bench warrant came up, I have spent 3 days in jail to find out it was for a small claims civil matter. The date the judge stated was for Oct 2011 which I did show, straight from the hospital without documents, but the other party and I agreed to a continuance. I did attend every court date after as well and have the documents stating the continuance. What should I expect when I go to resolve the warrant in three days? Do I need representation, and what recourse do I have if I can show the other party falsified/lied to the court to get the Warrant.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You do need representation.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/13/2014
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You should always get an attorney when you can so that you don't land up back in jail and you should go to the district attorney for criminal charges against the other party for falsifying documents to the court.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/12/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
If I were you, I would get an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 3/12/2014
Marc S. Stern
Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
You were arrested. You are/were in jail. You most certainly need competent counsel. Trying to represent yourself is like trying to remove your own appendix. It may be possible but will be bloody and very painful.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/12/2014
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
You would be well advised to have an attorney. You may have a good claim for violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, malicious prosecution, or other matters if fraud was used to obtain a warrant.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/12/2014
Click to View More Answers: