What can I do if I was arrested at a DUI checkpoint? 23 Answers as of August 31, 2015

I was stopped at a DUI checkpoint after having a few drinks. When the officer asked me to take the breathalyzer test, I was under the legal limit, but I was still arrested. What should I do? Do I need to hire an attorney?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
You may have a good chance at trial. You should seek to have a consultation with a criminal attorney.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/28/2015
Law Offices of Eric J. Bell | Eric J. Bell
You can still be charged with DUI if you blow under the legal limit. I have represented several motorists in this situation. However when this does occur you usually have a pretty good case to fight. Contact me for a free initial consultation.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/24/2015
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
You were arrested, so you need an attorney.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/22/2015
Law Office of James E. Smith
Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
Get a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/22/2015
The Rogers Law Firm
The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
If you were actually charged with a crime, then yes, you need to hire an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 4/22/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Yes. You need to retain a lawyer. Soon.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Absolutely, and now.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    If you were arrested for DUI, you will likely need the help of a DUI attorney. There are many rules and regulations on check point stops speaking with a Georgia DUI attorney will help you know what you are up against. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    Hire an experienced DUI lawyer. In response to your DUI Post: I am a criminal defense attorney with more than 17 years experience on DUI cases. If you would like to discuss your case, please contact me. Some important information- DMV Issues - If you have been served with a Notice of Revocation, then you have 7 days to request a hearing. Please do that immediately by going to your local DMV office, tell them you got a DUI and you want to request a hearing. They will give you a form. DO NOT REQUEST THE OFFICER. We can do that later if we choose to, but most often it means you will lose. The receipt DMV gives you allows you to drive until the day of the hearing. Request a copy of the Expressed Consent Packet. Evidence Issues - It would be valuable to immediately request all police reports, including all audio and video recordings from dash recorders, lapel recorders and police station recorders from the police agency that arrested you and the prosecution. Include in your written request a statement that you believe the audio and video recordings are ?material and exculpatory.? Make sure you get a copy of your request with the date, signature and name of the person that you give it to. Representation begins when client pays attorney an agreed upon retainer and returns a signed fee agreement.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren
    Law Office of Russell A. Warren | Russell A. Warren
    Yes - you should retain an attorney to represent you. They can work to avoid any conviction on your record.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel
    Grantland, Blodgett, Shaw & Abel | Gregory M. Abel
    Yes. DUII convictions have serious consequences. You should at least consult with a qualified DUII attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 4/22/2015
    P. Adam Militello, Esq.
    P. Adam Militello, Esq. | Adam Militello
    Whether you were arrested for DWI or DWAI, an experienced attorney can assist you with your case. Going in without an attorney will almost certainly result in a conviction.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
    Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
    In Arizona you can be arrested for DUI even if you are under the legal limit, however it is a much harder case to prove. I would recommend contacting a qualified attorney to help in your matter.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    You should hire a lawyer. You don't need a DUI conviction on your record and you can avoid one by fighting it.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    The Law Offices of Harold L. Wallin | Harold L. Wallin
    Yes, if you were charged with a DUI, you definitely need to retain an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
    Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
    Yes, you need to hire a lawyer. DUI means that you are under 21 and had any amount of alcohol in your system while driving. There are repercussions to your driver's license in these situations so you definitely need a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 4/21/2015
    Jefferson and Biggs | Matthew Jefferson
    That would be a yes.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 8/31/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney

Need more information on drunk driving law? Visit our free DUI resource page to learn more.

If you need immediate assistance, fill out a free case evaluation form to connect with a DUI lawyer in your area today!