What can I do if I was abandoned while hospitalized by my husband? 6 Answers as of March 18, 2014

My husband abandoned me and left the state while I was hospitalized long term. He had left me with no financial backing and bills unpaid as well as debts incurred during my absence. What is my recourse?

When you file and serve your divorce action include a request for order to seek spousal support.
He does not owe you anything, but you can file bankruptcy to get rid of your medical debts.
Heller Law Office, PLC | Donna Heller
If you are still hospitalized are you assigned a social worker? He/she should be able to assist you to see what benefits you might be entitled to. There are a host of factors that could impact the answer such as other resources, whether you were employed, whether your husband was employed, any benefits available to either of you or AHCCCS, Social Security. Depending upon how significant the bills and your prognosis going forward are you may want to speak to a debt counselor as well.
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida
Mediation Services of Southwest Florida | Dennis J. Leffert, J.D.
Your recourse is divorce. Since you have no money, you may qualify for free legal through Legal Aid. Check out your nearest Legal Aid office to find out your rights.
A bankruptcy might be an option.
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    First you should talk with a divorce attorneyalso you may want to consult a bankruptcy attorney. If your husband signed to be the responsible party for your medical and hospital bills, he is responsible. However, if you are the only one who signed, you should discharge the debt in bankruptcy before the divorce.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas