What can I do if I think my step-family are unfairly dividing my deceased father's assets? 3 Answers as of May 27, 2011

I believe my step-family are leaving me out on my father's legacy. He died about 2 weeks ago and they seem to be dividing things up amongst themselves and not telling me. I feel as though I am legally obligated to some of his belongings and assets. What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Burnham & Associates
Burnham & Associates | Stephanie K. Burnham
If speaking with your step-family is out of the question, then you will need to document what is happening and file a Petition for Probate. In your situation, discussing your concerns with an attorney specializing in Estate Administration would be a good idea.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 5/27/2011
The Schreiber Law Firm
The Schreiber Law Firm | Jeffrey D. Schreiber
Depends on whether he had a will. If he left you something in the will, then you are entitled to your share. If not, then it you received nothing. If he died without a will , you need to determine if the intestacy laws of the state where he resided at his death provide for step-children. If the laws do not, then there is nothing to pass to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/26/2011
Meyer & Yee, LLP
Meyer & Yee, LLP | Kent W. Meyer
Did he have a will or trust? As you are his child you were probably a beneficiary. If you are a beneficiary then you have standing and take action to defend your interest.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: