What can I do if I shoplifted and am trying to renew my green card? 4 Answers as of June 02, 2011

I had no criminal record of any kind until today. Today I got caught shoplifting under $100. The police officer gave me a citation paper and told me to contact the court within 10 days. I have to travel to my home country in about 2 weeks due to my father's illness and also have to renew my GC next year. What can I do? Please help!

Take care of the shoplifting charge ASAP. Then file for citizenship since your shoplifting will not prevent you from becoming a USC because it will be taken care of by the "petty offense exception" providing you have no other criminal offense. Then you can go to your home country for a visit while your citizenship application is pending. That is what I will do if I were you. Citizenship will keep you safe for all times. Good luck!
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
I would consider hiring an immigration lawyer to draft a letter explaining the immigration consequences of your conviction. You should present the letter to the CBP officer upon your return with the copy of your criminal records showing it's been resolved. Don't hesitate to contact a lawyer asap.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
You should be fine. That's a misdemeanor.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
You need a criminal defense lawyer and an immigration lawyer. More information is necessary to give you any valuable advice, and you are in a very difficult situation. If you leave the U.S., you could be detained upon your return. Whether your green card is in jeopardy depends on facts that you have not provided. Call me for a consultation.