What can I do if I recently discover that we have espestice in my basement and the landlord is not doing nothing about it? 5 Answers as of February 27, 2014

I been living in my rented home for a year.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
What is "espestice"?
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/27/2014
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
You should probably move out and get medically examined to see if you are at risk for contracting asbesteosis . If you are in the middle of the lease and your landlord tries to pursue you for the balance of the rent, you can use the presence of asbestos as a defense. You should also contact the County Health Department to see if the landlord would be violation of any building code provisions.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 2/27/2014
WEISSMAN LAW FIRM | I.Donald Weissman
Asbestos by itself is not a health problem. It was used in many building materials before the mid 1970's. The problems might arise if the ceiling (or other area that contains asbestos) is flaking or what appears to be raining down on the occupants. Breathing the dust is the exposure. There is nothing the landlord need do unless there are renovations going on or the place is falling apart. Then the asbestos needs to be removed and done so in a manner that is required by law and safe to those in close proximity to the area and activity.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/26/2014
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
Call your local health department and request inspection.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/26/2014
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
Stay out of the basement. albeit you can probably break the lease and move if you have a serious concern. Asbestos when not friable or covered in a cementatious/impervious fibrous wrap is not harmful.. its only hazardous when you inhale the fibers.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/26/2014
Click to View More Answers: