What can I do if I paid a big retainer and I discharged my attorney and now he won't give me the final bill or return my calls? 7 Answers as of February 18, 2014

The retainer says he will be paid on an hourly basis. During the time he was hired to work with me, he never once made a call or sent an email on my behalf to my adversaries. I discharged him for this reason and also for setting me up with an unlicensed investigator who ultimately committed a crime against me. I fired the investigator and the attorney. What do I need to do to get a refund of my retainer?

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
You need to go to arbitration. Contact the Grievance Cmte. Your local bar assn may be able to give you their contact info.
Dessy & Dessy, a Professional Corporation | Ronald D. Dessy
If the amount is less than $10,000, you can file a complaint claims court against attorney. You can also file a complaint with your local county attorney client fee arbitrator, or with the California state bar.
Law Offices of Sheryl S. Graf
Law Offices of Sheryl S. Graf | Sheryl S. Graf
I suggest you make a written demand for an accounting via certified mail, return receipt requested, and keep a copy of your demand. If you have not received a final statement with a refund check within 10 days, you may file a complaint with the State Bar (information and forms are available on the Calif. Bar's website at www.calar.ca.gov ) or, if your local county bar association has an attorney/client fee dispute program, you may contact them.
File a complaint with the state bar association.
Law Office of James A. Anton | James Anton
Make a written demand. If he does not respond them file a complaint with the State Bar of California. Fairly simple process.