What can I do if I paid an attorney to file for bankruptcy and now the attorney has disappeared? 17 Answers as of August 21, 2014

I live in PA and have paid a lawyer $1000 to start bankruptcy proceedings. Has been quite a while since I've heard anything from them so I tried to call them and all phone numbers have been disconnected. I have no way to contact them. I found a Facebook page n left a message on their n they said they would have someone contact me but it's been weeks. I feel like I've been taking for a ride. What can I do? Please help.

EDWARD P RUSSELL | EDWARD P RUSSELL
You should make a complaint to the state attorneys board of bar overseers.? It may be another name in your state but every state has a board that oversees attorneys in the state.? They will make an investigation.
Dickson Law Group, LLC
Dickson Law Group, LLC | John P. Dickson
You should file a regulatory complaint with the body that regulates attorneys in the state in which that attorney has a law license. Running off with client funds is a major no-no, and if what you say is correct your lawyer will be in hot water. Here in Illinois, it is the Attorney Regulatory and Disciplinary Commission (http://www.iardc.org/).
Law Offices of David H. Relkin
Law Offices of David H. Relkin | David H. Relkin
You should file a disciplinary complaint against him. Call the bar association and they will walk you through it.
Contact the state bar in PA
Barnhart Law Office
Barnhart Law Office | Bruce C Barnhart
You should contact the bar association of the state.
    Contact the Pennsylvania Bar Association for information.
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    I am in California so I can speak of how things are handled in CA, but chances are it is the same in PA. Every licensed attorney must maintain with the State Bar Association their current contact information. You should be able to look up an attorney on the State Bar website to try and give this person a chance to fix the problem. He needs to refund your money or do the work. If that doesn't work file a complaint with the State Bar Association. They will follow up on your behalf.
    Steele, George, Schofield & Ramos, LLP
    Steele, George, Schofield & Ramos, LLP | Alan E. Ramos
    You should contact the County Bar Association and the State Bar Association.
    Call the state bar association and see if they know where he can be found and if not to file a complaint.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Contact your local state bar and make a complaint. They may be able to help you get his attention.
    Check with the government agency which licenses lawyers in Pennsylvania - in Ohio, it's the Ohio Supreme Court, you can check if the lawyer is still licensed and the address that he/she has on file. I notice you said 'them", does that mean the attorney was part of a law firm? If so, all the lawyers in the firm are liable for your money even if the law firm broke up. So, if the lawyer is no longer licensed in PA, you might have to go after his/her former partners. I would file a ethics complaint (again, I'm not sure how this is done in PA - in Ohio you can do it with the Ohio Supreme Court or with the local bar association). Since a lawyer can lose their license over an ethics complaint - it's a good way to get their attention.
    This is one of those situations where the organization that regulates lawyers should be contacted. Usually called the State Bar, or Bar Association, this organization can take your complaint against the lawyer for not performing the work you hired him to do. If left unresolved, this organization can punish your lawyer with the loss of his right to practice law. In many states, the State Bar can provide you with a replacement attorney at little or no cost.
    Lynch Law Offices, P.C. | Roseanne N. Lynch
    You may have been taken but start with the Bar Association in the area where you hired the lawyer. The Bar may have contact information.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    I would call your State Bar and see if they are still in practice, or maybe they have merged with a different firm. Either way you need to know so you know what to do about getting your money back or the bankruptcy filed. Good luck!
    Detroit Lawyers, PLLC
    Detroit Lawyers, PLLC | Nick Best
    Request your money back (I realize it's easier said than done since you can't get in touch with them) and hire a different lawyer. If not, a complaint to PA's disciplinary board will probably get them to respond to you.
    Contact your state bar. File a complaint with them.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    Contact the state bar association as well as the local bar organization and lodge a complaint. You should also seek a referral from the local bar association for a bankruptcy attorney and retain them to complete your filing. It sound as though your first lawyer was less than ethical and you might not get your money back, but you need to focus on moving ahead with your case.