What can I do if I owe money and my tax return was taken? 3 Answers as of March 07, 2011

I use to receive Social Security Disability and I started working two years after I had received it only making minimum wage so they started taking money out of my check each month. This was fine because it's okay to work and still receive it you’re just not going to get the full amount well two years ago they cut me off and saying they over paid me 8,000. I was going to send them payment just couldn't afford it at that time only making minimum wage and this year me and my spouse filled jointly and they took our federal return which has nothing to do with him. They took all his hard working money and now we’re broke and I was just wondering is there anything we can do about it I talked to a lady that works there she said since we filled joint we can’t do anything about it and that was it. She was no help and just hung up I understand I owe them that money but not him just need some advice please. Thank you for your time.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven J. Fromm
Steven J. Fromm | Steven J. Fromm & Associates, P.C.
When you filed jointly you opened yourself up to this result. You have no real recourse here. Your only choice would have been to file married filing separately but it is too late for that now.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 3/7/2011
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
Unfortunately the lady is right.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/4/2011
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You need to talk to your accountant about filing seperately. Since you filed jointly this year there is probably nothing you can do. You need a in office consultation with a lawyer on a situation like this.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 3/4/2011
Click to View More Answers: