What can I do if I now have a chapter 7 on my credit report because my ex husband filed for bankruptcy and added the truck we share? 15 Answers as of November 22, 2013

My ex husband filed chapter 7 and added in a truck we shared but I'm paying for it always have. And now I have a bankruptcy chapter 7 on my credit report. Is there anything I can do?

File an objection to all the credit agencies. It should be taken off. But even if it is, you have to make sure it does not come back. If it does, you have to object again.
Pay for the truck and ask the reporting agency to correct the error in that you are divorced.
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Exactly what does the credit report say? It may say that the debt was in bkry and that the loan is current. I doubt you have a ch 7 "on your credit report". To an experienced reader of credit reports, they what happened. It should not affect your credit score
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
Yes - file a dispute with the credit bureau. His bankruptcy should not be reflected on your credit report.
File a dispute with each of the credit bureaus denying that you filed bankruptcy. Of course, the notation on your vehicle loan will reflect that the debt was included in a bankruptcy, but it should not say that you filed bankruptcy.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    The bankruptcy should not be on your credit report. Write the 3 bureaus and contest the notation.
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    Yes, contact the credit bureaus in writing disputing the information and demand that it be removed. Since you did not file for bankruptcy your credit report should not be impacted negatively with this information. By the way, do not be angry with your ex-husband about this. He had no choice but to list every debt on his petition. This is a requirement in filing for bankruptcy.
    I have attached the 3 address where you can file an object to the bankruptcy notice on your credit report. You have to send the letter to all 3. I recommend sending them certified mail, return receipt and keeping a copy for your records. They have 30 days to fix it.
    Underwood & Riemer, P.C.
    Underwood & Riemer, P.C. | James D. Patterson
    If you did not file the Chapter 7, it should not be reporting on your credit. You need to dispute that account reporting to the credit bureaus. We have a list of what you should do on my firms website to help you dispute the inaccurate information. I have posted some of that below. *
    Elkington Law
    Elkington Law | Sally Elkington
    Your credit report can only report the truth. If you did not file bankruptcy then your credit report cannot report such. It can state that a co-borrower filed bankruptcy, but that is not the same as reporting you filed bankruptcy. If the report is stating that you filed bankruptcy, dispute the entry with the reporting agency. If they won't change it, consult with a consumer attorney as you might have an actionable case. By the way, your ex didn't have a choice but to report the vehicle debt, even if you are paying for it.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    Why do you need to do anything as it is merely information on that debt. It is not your bankruptcy it is his. What makes you think it is hurting your credit score?
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.
    Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A. | Jane Downey
    Write to the credit bureau and say that it's his bankruptcy not yours.
    That may be a FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) violation. If you did not file the bankruptcy it should not be on your credit
    Law Office of Barry R. Levine | Barry R. Levine, Esq.
    File a dispute with the credit reporting agency. This happens quite often, but is easily dealt with.
    Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
    Your easiest option is to notify the three credit reporting bureaus that you did not file bankruptcy and ask them to add a note to your report to that effect. They are required to add an explanatory note when something like this occurs. Simply say that the joint obligor (your ex-husband) on an auto loan filed bankruptcy but that you did not. You can also ask them to remove the report but the fact is that your credit was involved in your ex-husband's bankruptcy and thus the statement is accurate.