What can I do if I my friend was caught with drugs when I was with him? 4 Answers as of August 03, 2011

I was with my friend in a park when an officer approached us and asked to search my friend and my car. He found marijuana on him and we were both arrested. I was charged with a misdemeanor,loitering where drugs are illegally kept or stored, I've been to court twice and return tomorrow. I did not know he had the weed on him. I'm from wayne county, Mi and am very nervous. Last time I was there I was so nervous and shaking that the attorney was trying to get me to take responsibility and I misunderstood what he meant. So now I'm afraid they are not going to believe that I didn't know. I don't have the money for a lawyer or anything and don't understand why this is being dragged on. Please help!

I would not give up an insist on a trial. THEY HAVE TO PROVE that you knew about the drugs.
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law
Jules N. Fiani, Attorney at Law | Jules Fiani
Hire a lawyer.
If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one for you at public expense. If you really didn't know your friend had drugs, you should plead not guilty and take the matter to trial.
I would have to know specifically at what stage you are act in order to give you a better answer. Have you had a Pretrial Conference yet? That is the step before trial where the prosecutor generally will make an offer for you to plead to. The consent to the search will have to be consensual and without correction or force in order to be admitted. If this is your first offense, you may be eligible for 7411 or HYTA or something similar that could keep the charge off of your record. Even if you cannot afford an attorney, you should at least speak with one and have one review your case for a nominal fee before pleading to anything.