What can I do if I hurt my back at work and have no workers compensation but they have insurance, and I returned to work but still in extreme pain? 9 Answers as of April 14, 2014

I lifted patient and hurt my back. I have slipped L5 disk and in a lot of pain. Patient isn’t suppose to be in assisted living area but employer said to live with it. Lawyers in Corpus Christi cannot help me, who can help me?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
As an employee, it is mandatory that your employer have Workers' Comp. coverage for you. They are not excluded from having such coverage; if they do not have the coverage, then you can sue them in civil court and negligence is automatically admitted. There must be some local WC attorney who is willing to take what seems to be a rather straight forward WC claim.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/14/2014
You need to retain an attorney.You need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits , ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/14/2014
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If you are an employee and got hurt on the job, get a comp lawyer. Your employer is liable, whether or not they have insurance.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/14/2014
Geneva Yourse | Geneva Yourse
In order to preserve your legal rights you have to file a workers' compensation claim. You are unable to file a lawsuit outside of the confines of workers' compensation through the industrial Commission. All compensation will be received through the NC Industrial Commission. You should file a Form 18, if not already done. See this website for more information on how to get compensation and start a claim. http://www.ic.nc.gov/claimants.html If your employer does not cooperate, you should hire an attorney.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 4/11/2014
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
If lawyers generally wont help you there must be something more to your case than you say. you can file your own comp claim I assume with the state worker comp commission. Call them or go online.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 4/11/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    No worker's compensation? It's required! How many lawyers did you talk to? Are there others in your area? Did they ask the right questions? Why do they say they can't help you?
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/11/2014
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    In Alabama, you could call the Dept. of Labor for help, but I'm not sure what all they could do for you other than to tell you what your rights are. The Alabama comp Act is set up to compensate a worker for the effect the injury has on his or her earnings ability. You would not be entitled to temporary or permanent comp unless the Dr. pulls you from work or puts restrictions on you that your employer cannot accommodate. You have 2 years from the date you were injured or last paid comp, whichever is later, to file a comp claim or you are forever barred from doing so. Your medical benefits are open for life. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 4/11/2014
    Ty Wilson Law
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You have to attempt to collect directly from your employer if they have no workers compensation insurance coverage. You also should confirm with Georgia State Board that your employer does not have coverage.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/11/2014
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    In Iowa you would file a workers' compensation claim. In Texas you would pack up your belongings and move to another state. There is no such thing as slipping a disc. That is a misnomer for what could be a ruptured disc.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 4/11/2014
Click to View More Answers: