What can I do if I honestly didn't know I hit a parked car and the owner of the other car is not even claiming any damages? 5 Answers as of May 01, 2014

I got a call from police that I fled a scene of an accident. There was a witness that saw my license plate. So when I went to the station, they charged me with hit and run. All I remember is that I was at the scene at the said time since this was 3 days after the said accident. I didn't feel any jolt or indication that I hit any vehicle. After I got the ticket, I immediately called my insurance. I also called the owner of the other car to offer my apology. I tried to give her my insurance information so she can go ahead and fix her car. She told me that the damage on the car is so minimal that it does not require fixing it. She did not take my insurance information and even apologize to me for getting a ticket. My question is, can I use this as leverage to get out of this violation? Since she is not claiming for damages. Would it still be called "Leaving the scene of an Accident involving Damages" 291C-15.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
Yes, I would plead not guilty and explain it to the court. Take photos.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/1/2014
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
The things you mentioned in your questions may be mitigating factors.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/1/2014
Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
You really need to get an attorney. If convicted you could have your license suspended.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/1/2014
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
you are guilty of misdemeanor hit and run. but since no one seems to be making an issue of it get you a good traffic court lawyer and he may be able to talk the DA out of prosecuting or he may be able to win the case if tried.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 5/1/2014
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
Consult a traffic attorney.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/1/2014
Click to View More Answers: