What can I do if I hired someone to cut down some trees if he didn't finish the job? 5 Answers as of October 01, 2013

Two months ago, I hired a man to take down five trees. He came and cut one 1/2 way down. He has only been back to pick up one of his ladders. He said that he was having to rent some larger equipment. That was two months ago. Should I have to wait for him or pay him for half a tree and hire someone else?

Pay him for what he did and get someone else. Make sure he does not buy the equipment or he will say you should pay for it. He is not correct, but he could try it.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
If you originally set a time limit for completion, then pay him for the work done and move on. If not, then contact him, set a deadline, and see if that will get him going.
Law Office of Richard Winkler | Richard Winkler
Give him a reasonable deadline to complete the job. If it comes and goes without finishing the job, hire another service. If the cost is greater than what you would have paid, you will regret paying them anything. If the cost is less, you can work that out with the service that you fire.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
Hire some one else. If it cost more, you may sue him for the difference. If it cost less, you owe him for the work he did, up to the difference in the two prices. It is known as the "cost to complete" measurement of damages.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
If have a written contract then check the terms of the contract before you decide what to do. If you don't have a written contract, then get someone else to do the job. If the first guy asks to be paid for the tree job that was done, pay him whatever is reasonable.