What can I do if I have unpaid student loans? 5 Answers as of April 26, 2011

I consented to a student loan law suit against me but they are asking me to fill out financial papers. I am self employed and my business is not making a profit. I am taking a lost. Are there anything I could do to set up a payment plan so I can stop the bleeding from the interest rate. That is killing me. I dont have extra money to give them and each day it is building up. What should I do? is there any programs or any grant I can seek to pay off this federal student loan.

No, there are no programs and you can't file bankruptcy. start sending them what you can afford and negotiate a payment plan
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
It is up to the Student Loan company to decide to enter into a voluntary payment plan with you since you have already consented to judgment against you. Unfortunately, student loan debt is generally not dischargeable in BK.
Student loan debt is a noose around your neck that will haunt you forever. Getting it discharged in bankruptcy is extremely difficult. Sometimes you can get the bankruptcy court to lower your payments, but it is extremely hard to do. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Consult with a local attorney familiar with the judges in your area.
Unpaid Student Loans are sometimes the worst thing that people can have when they hit tough times. Your first option should be to contact the student loan company and determine if you can qualify for a hardship deferment or forbearance. You should speak with your student loan provider to determine if they offer any other options.
There is one possibility to not pay back student loans. It is allowed in bankruptcy in rare occasions. You should talk to an attorney about any options you might have in bankruptcy. Most student loans are not bankruptable. You can put it in a chapter 13 plan.