What can I do if I have proof that my idea was stolen? 2 Answers as of May 05, 2011

I submitted a design to an invention company. They took my money, stole my idea and now it is being sold at a national hardware store.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
You will need to present more specific facts and details about this situation in order to establish that the design at the national hardware store is in fact your invention, and that the invention company stole your idea. Your best option is to contact a patent attorney.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 5/5/2011
Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
You should consider bringing a lawsuit for fraud, breach of contract. breach of a confidential/fiduciary relationship, conversion, patent infringement (if you have a patent) and that is "just off the top of my head." Did you have a confidential disclosure agreement with them? Did you file a patent application with the USPTO? Usually those invention companies offer to take care of that for you at an inflated price providing less than competent legal assistance. Consumers should be very aware that these companies are often not acting in their best interest and offer services at grossly inflated prices. Consumers should always inquire as to the track record of the invention company: How many inventions/patents have they been associated with that have made money?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: