What can I do if I have not received my discharge papers yet, my court date was September 1st and I need a car ASAP? 19 Answers as of November 09, 2012

I really cannot wait for the papers.

You probably will not receive the discharge until sometime in November at the earliest. Creditors have 60 days after your meeting of creditors to object to discharge, so it takes at least that long for a discharge to be granted.
Law Office of Norman Moore
Law Office of Norman Moore | Norman P Moore Jr
Are you trying to buy a car? Go ahead if someone is willing to sell it to you. I confess I am a little foggy as to what you are asking.
As I am sure your lawyer told you (you didn't make the huge mistake of filing without a lawyer, did you?), discharges CANNOT be granted that early in a case.
You are entitled to a discharge 60 days from your hearing. The clerk often takes longer than that to process it. Nothing you can do to speed that up, except file a motion asking the court for permission to buy a car. I suspect however that the lender is requiring the discharge.
You are going to have to continue to wait for your discharge. Your form B9 which told you about your court date should indicate that your creditors may file an objection to your bankruptcy until November 1 and your discharge cannot be granted until after that date. However, your discharge doesn't mean that you can't purchase a vehicle, only that no public lender will finance a vehicle for you.
    You have to wait until the discharge is processed. Once it is processed, you can go to court and get a copy.
    LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC
    LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC | Margaret L. Evans
    Question: What can I do if I have not received my discharge papers yet, my court date was September 1st and I need a car ASAP? Question Detail: I really cannot wait for the papers. *- You MUST wait to file a MOTION TO INCUR DEBT with the bankruptcy court and obtain the court's permission to do so BEFORE buying a vehicle. You could otherwise be denied the order of discharge. *
    You have no choice. It will take at least 60 days from your court date to get a discharge.
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC | Jared L. Haddock
    You have not received it yet, because the Bankruptcy Court has not issued it yet. The earliest that the court will issue a Discharge Order will be 60 days after the Meeting of Creditors. That would be sometime after October 31. I hope this information helps.
    R. Steven Chambers PLLC | R. Steven Chambers PLLC
    Unfortunately you have to wait. There is nothing you can do to speed up the process. The bankruptcy code allows 60 days after your meeting of creditors in which any creditors or the trustee can object to your discharge. There is nothing you can do about it.
    Law offices of John P. Brooke | John Brooke
    I'm guessing from your question that the car dealer wants you to be discharged before they will finance or sell you a car? Generally, if there are no objections and the trustee issued his report of no distribution than you should get your discharge 60 days after you went to court for the 341 Meeting. From what you said you should be discharged by November 1st. There is nothing you can do to speed up a discharge as it is a statutory time period. You would also need to do the debtor education and file it with the court before the scheduled discharge date.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    There is nothing that you can do. The discharge is entered automatically and usually takes between 90 to 120 days from the date of filing. That assumes you have filed your financial management certificate and comply with the trustee's requests.
    It takes 60 days from the 341 meeting of creditors to get your discharge. You cannot accelerate that process.
    Clayton Law Offices | Rose Clayton
    You will not receive your discharge until at least sixty days after the meeting that you went to. If your meeting with the Trustee was on September 1, you should be eligible for discharge around the second week of November and it takes another 1 to 3 weeks for the court to get the paperwork processed and in the mail to you. You should see your discharge paperwork around the end of November, beginning of December.
    William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
    Contact your attorney or the court if you do not have an attorney. Discharges are usually processed rapidly.
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson
    Law Office of Lynnmarie A. Johnson | Lynnmarie Johnson
    I am assuming that you went a Ch 7, I know of no one who will finance you until you get your discharge papers in a Ch 7. They should be coming in the next couple of weeks, the court has to wait to send them out until sufficient time has passed to have any creditors object. You should get them approximately 60 days after your 341 hearing. Sorry, it is not better news!
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
    Sorry, you have to wait a while before you get your discharge. Creditors have two months after your Meeting of Creditors (which is not court) to object to discharge. Make sure you complete your Financial Management Course. You should get your discharge in November, but sometimes the court is behind and it takes a little longer.