What can I do if I have a court date but moved out of state? 10 Answers as of June 15, 2011

I recently got caught for petty theft in California. I was taken to the jail where they got all my info except my birth place, SS number and current address. I also just got a new license out of state so they also do not have my current license number. Very soon after I did move out of state and my court date is coming up this week however I can not attend because I am not in the state. What should I do in order to not receive a warrant in California and to get this off my record? I am trying to become a teacher and they will find out about any warrant since fingerprints are required. Is there a way to possibly do this over the phone, pay some money and finish this? thank you.

Hire an attorney to appear for you. Your mother, best friend or any one else cannot appear unless they are also an attorney. Otherwise, you will need to buy a plane ticket.
the best thing would be for you to come back and make the court date . if you can't do that thing you need to hire an attorney to make the appearance on the court date for you.
To avoid a warrant, you must either show up yourself, or hire an attorney to appear for you. The attorney can try to negotiate a plea bargain on the charges that is acceptable to you. Deferred entry of judgment or deferred dismissal may be possible if you have an otherwise clean record. Since this is a misdemeanor, the attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present, and any plea bargain deal could be handled by notarized paperwork. Any fines could be paid by mail. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Your arrest in now part of your permanent record. If you can avoid a conviction, you wont be too badly affected in your career.
Komanapalli Massey LLP
Komanapalli Massey LLP | Mark A. Massey, Esq.
It all depends upon what type of hearing is pending, what you were told by the court, whether you have an appointed public defender, and other information. If you wish for Komanapalli Massey LLP to make the appearance on your behalf and make attempts to work out a deal with the District Attorney, we can and will, but you must call us, sign a retainer agreement and pay our retainer. In this case, we would need $5,000 in advance, from which we would credit you with attorney fee hours at $395 per hour,if this is in Los Angeles County or a contigous county.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
I would doubt that you could do it over the phone. Your only real option is to hire an attorney who can appear on your behalf pursuant to Penal Code 977 if the case is a misdemeanor, which is normally the level for a petty theft offense. You should be cautious because if you are trying to become a teacher, then a conviction would certainly be as bad as a warrant. Talk to a lawyer.
    In California you can hire an attorney to make all the appearances for you. It will be best to hire an attorney to resolve this situation.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    You need to retain an attorney who can appear for you. Call me to discuss further.
    For a misdemeanor charge, you do not need to be present at court dates if you have a Privately retained attorney representing you. There are some exceptions to this, but I highly doubt one of those exceptions it would be an issue in your case for a petty theft as it is likely that this case can be resolved at the early stages without having to go to trial.
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo
    Law Offices of Matthew Murillo | Matthew Murillo
    Contact a private attorney. An attorney can appear on your behalf without your physical presence. You will need to hire someone though, as public defender is only assigned to your case after you have personally appeared and filled out the required income declaration.
    You can hire an attorney, who can appear on your behalf without you. A plea may also be entered by the attorney on your behalf, provided that a notarized plea form has been completed.