What can I do if I have an open case that I wasn't aware of until I was pulled over for speeding? 5 Answers as of February 28, 2014

I have been living in California for the past few years since 1999. I left New York and recently came back earlier this year (2014). I was pulled over by Nassau Police due to speeding and told I had a case open in court and active warrant in Nassau for a NY PL 130.20 (statutory rape). I was not aware of this case or warrant while I was in California. Seems it was filed against me months after I left. I was arraigned on this charge and let go on ROR. Have court date in April. In New York State, what are the odds that DA office will pursue this after 16 years that charges were filed? Would they contact "complainant" to try and bring me to trial? I am not guilty of these charges and will not plea down to anything. Will go to trial, nothing less. I am really concerned and hope DA drops charges. Thank you in advance to all the counselors who can provide me with an opinion based on their past experiences.

You need an attorney in California to work on and investigate your case. I cannot predict the likelihood of the case still going forward after all of these years. Your problem is that there is a warrant out for you in CA that need to be taken care of.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
You must retain legal counsel ASAP to present a defense. The prosecutors can and will aggressively pursue this case against you. This case will require substantial trial preparation, including pre-trial investigations involving experts with regard to forensic evidence. Get a lawyer immediately-you could spend a very long time in jail for this.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
I only practice in CA. You need to contact a lawyer in Nassau County.
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
First PL 130.20 is the crime of Sexual Misconduct, a class A misdemeanor NOT the felony charge associated with statutory rape Rape 3. It is still punishable up to one year in jail and does have sex offender registry consequences. The DA will try to pursue the charges if they have witnesses and evidence to do so. The smartest thing you can do at this point is to hire an experienced defense attorney to help persuade the DA to reduce or dismiss the charges.
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
You need to contact a criminal defense lawyer that practices in the Nassau court. You may have grounds for dismissal for lack of a speedy trial, but that would be a question of New York law, so you'll obviously need to talk to a New York attorney about that.