What can I do if I had to surrender my vehicle due to me being sick? 5 Answers as of February 17, 2014

I had to surrender my vehicle due to me being sick (going to Mayo clinic, and off of work by Doctor's orders) I ended up being terminated from my position due to my sickness, and I could no longer afford the vehicle. My friend works at the car dealership where I bought it and when I spoke with him about turning the car in. He told me that because it was an In House lease, and that they do not report on a Credit Report, they would not be able to go after me. I tried to hang on to the car for a few more months, because we needed dependable transportation to Mayo Clinic, and we kept up with the payments. We finally reached the breaking point and had to turn the car in. Now it's been marked on my credit and I'm being sued for the remaining balance. Since this has happened, we've had to sell our house and move in with family. I have nothing! I just went back to work in the beginning of January (against doctors' orders, who also wanted me to go on full time disability) What happens now?!!? I'm terrified and stressed out and now sure what will happen. They plan on going to court this month or I can work out a payment plan. What other options do I have?!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
You can file bankruptcy, go to court based on the representations of your friend or attempt to settle the claim.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 2/17/2014
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You can file chapter 7 bankruptcy and it all goes away easy.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/17/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
This is a situation that has a remedybankruptcy. In a bankruptcy, you can discharge the car loan, any deficiency on your mortgage and your medical bills. You should speak with a bankruptcy attorney as soon as possible.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 2/17/2014
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
Have a lawyer review the documents. Did they give proper notice after repossession and after sale? Was the sale commercially reasonable? Who is suing you, the original lessor or someone else?
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/17/2014
Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
Bankruptcy may be an option for you rather than pay them anything.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/17/2014
Click to View More Answers: