What can I do if I got ripped off by a Realtor? 8 Answers as of October 17, 2012

I was looking for an apartment for my daughter, this Realtor was helping us. We looked at a few places and she liked one of them, he asked us to put money down on the place and said that we would get our money back if we don't get the place, the place had been taken and we looked some more. My daughter decided to look elsewhere, she found a place, asked for the money back and the Realtor has been avoiding us every since 2 months ago. He will not answer his phone when we calls, he caused her to have to settle for second best because he wouldn't return her deposit as promised.

File suit or complaint to the licensing board.
Mark Bagula
Mark Bagula | Mark Bagula
I would file a small claims action for conversion and breach of contract.
William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
File a complaint with the Michigan Dept. of Licensing (real estate). Go Michigan.gov (DLEG) and search. Alternatively, you can sue the Realtor in small claims court that handles civil cases up to $2500; you can represent yourself without hiring a lawyer.
You should be suing the Realtor. If it is under $5,000 then you would be suing in small claims court.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
File a complaint with the department that is responsible for licensing the realtor. In Arizona it is called the Arizona Department of Real Estate: http://www.re.state.az.us/.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    You may have a claim against the Realtor that could be brought in small claims court. Another approach may be to speak with the local Association of Realtors to see if they can assist you. A Realtor is licensed through the state and a complaint to the state licensing agency may also be appropriate.
    Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
    You can complain to the local real estate broker association of which the broker is a member to put pressure on him, otherwise you can sue either in small claims court or civil court, depending on the amount of your claim.
    See an attorney as it is doubtful the realtor will ignore one and there are means by which you should be able to collect what is due you.