What can I do if I got a letter in the mail from a former attorney I used 3 1/2 years ago saying he is going to sue me for unpaid debt? 1 Answers as of September 30, 2013

Attorney said I have 10 days to pay the debt in full, or he is going to file a lawsuit in the county I live in to collect the debt. The state is Georgia. What are my options?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Hunter Law Office
Hunter Law Office | Rachel Lea Hunter
Do you owe money to the attorney? Its going to sound snarky, but think about this with some common sense. If you owed money to the attorney for legal work and did not pay, what did you think was going to happen here? If you owe the money, then the option is to pay it or work out some kind of agreement. If the lawyer sues and you do nothing, the lawyer will get a judgment against you and be able to garnish your wages and seize any assets owned free and clear. If you have any valid defenses to the charges (example, the attorney over-billed or did not credit some payments) then you should get a lawyer and file an answer to the complaint. You only have 30 days to answer. If you have a lot of debts and just cannot pay, then you may want to consider bankruptcy. If you work out any agreement, then you should get it in writing. The lawyer may send you a consent order or agreement if a lawsuit has been filed. Get clarification on whether any interest will be charged and if you make a payment plan stick to it. Keep track of all your payments.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 9/30/2013
Click to View More Answers: