What can I do if I got injured at work? 13 Answers as of April 28, 2014

I have been dealing with pain for years now. I barely get through my job daily. The more I work, the worst my pain gets. I suffer daily with back and groin pain and take pain medication regularly. Anything I do causes me pain.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
You need to retain an attorney who would file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits , ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/28/2014
Doroshow, Pasquale, Krawitz & Bhaya | Donald E. Marston
Your best option is a claim for workers comp benefits. However, if your claim was not acknowledged within 2 years of the date you were injured, there is probably nothing that you can do. On the other hand, if your claim was acknowledged and benefits were paid, you have 5 years from the date of last payment to make additional claims. I would be happy to discuss this further with you.
Answer Applies to: Delaware
Replied: 4/25/2014
Rex A Ziebarth Attorney | Rex A Ziebarth
If you are unable to work because of work related activities or a work accident you may have a workers compensation claim.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/25/2014
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If you become ill or injured (including making an underlying problem worse) and the illness or injury arises out of the employment, you have a workers compensation claim. The employer is to pay for the medical treatment necessary to treat the condition, and to pay lost wages while you are unable to work.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/25/2014
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
If you are over 2 years from your injury date or last payment of compensation, you may be too late to file a comp claim. You are never too late to file a medical claim, though. There is no time limit on that. However, if your work is aggravating a pre-existing condition, it is considered a new injury under the law. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 4/25/2014
    DESANTIS Law Center | Frank De Santis
    You need to file a Workers Compensation claim.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/25/2014
    Geneva Yourse | Geneva Yourse
    In order to preserve your legal rights you have to file a workers' compensation claim. You should notify your employer as soon as you have an injury. Delay in filing could endanger your claim. You are unable to file a lawsuit outside of the confines of workers' compensation through the industrial Commission. All compensation will be received through the NC Industrial Commission. You should file a Form 18, if not already done. See this website for more information on how to get compensation and start a claim. http://www.ic.nc.gov/claimants.html If your employer does not cooperate, you should hire an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 4/25/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    If you have a permanent injury, you may be able to get a "schedule award" which is based on a formula depending on the extent of your disability and your rate of pay, offset by payments you have already received. But: you should get some advice as to whether the schedule award is your best option. Depending on your situation, you may be better off getting disability payments and having your medical expenses taken care of.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/25/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    File a worker's compensation claim.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 4/25/2014
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    You had many options. You really need to talk to an experienced WC attorney ASAP.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/25/2014
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    Can you tell me when your accident was and what treatment you have had?
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 4/25/2014
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    You may file a workers' compensation claim where you will need to prove with a doctor's opinion that whatever your diagnosis is work related.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 4/25/2014
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    File a workman's compensation through the State agency that handles such claims, and then use their resources to the max to insure that you are properly taken care of and rehabilitated.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 4/25/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney