What can I do if I got injured at my workplace? 18 Answers as of February 04, 2014

I hurt my back at work in June of 2011. I was a CNA I was turning a large female patient and hurt my back very badly. Is it to later for me to take action? I can't work now, are walk or stand for long period of time. What can I do?

LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN | ARMAN MOHEBAN
It may not be too late. You need to file a claim for worker's compensation benefits that cover temporary disability benefits, ongoing medical treatment and a settlement for permanent disability and future medical care.
See a workers comp lawyer.
Technically, the time to file a claim for comp benefits runs 2 years from the date of injury or last payment of comp, whichever is later. There is no time limit on filing a claim for medical benefits, though. Try filing the claim and if the Dr pulls you from work and they start paying you comp, your time gets extended. This can be tricky, though. Consider consulting an experienced comp lawyer.
Did you file a claim or a report when it happened? If so, you might have a worker's comp claim if it has been exacerbated by your job, that is, if you are still working for the company. If you are not working, you probably waited too long. You need to talk with a local worker's comp attorney.
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C.
Pete Leehey Law Firm, P.C. | Pete Leehey
If you never received weekly workers' compensation benefits, you only have two years from the date of injury to file a claim. Thus, unless you did receive weekly benefits, it is too late for you based upon a June 2011 date of injury. The answer is different if you did receive weekly workers' compensation benefits. If that is the case, you have three years from the date the last benefit check to you was written within which to file suit.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Answer: In Iowa the statute of limitations is either a two year period from the date of injury or three years from the date when you last received weekly indemnity benefits.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
    In Florida, you must report the injury within 30 days and receive an authorized benefit, or file a petition, at least once every 12 months.
    WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
    Your sole remedy for an on the job injury is a workers comp claim. I do not practice that area, so I can not advise you what rights you may have waived by the delay. June 2011 is almost 3 years thereafter. How do you plan to prove that your current problems relate to something that happened more than 30 months ago?
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    It may not be too late!
    Ty Wilson Law
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You have to provide immediate notice of your injury to your employer and request medical care.? If you have not received any medical care or notified your employer you statute of limitations likely has run and you will be barred from bringing a claim. However, if you notified them and received medical care the question to determine the statute of limitations is when was your last medical appointment paid for by workers compensation and/or if you received weekly benefit checks when was the date of the last check.? Those will be critical to determine the statute of limitations. Workers' compensation is not just a one or two year statute you have to provide specific information. If you have questions I HIGHLY encourage you to speak with a Georgia Workers' Compensation attorney, the consultations are free.
    In NY you are too late (2 years).
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    Did you report your injury and obtain treatment. You may still be able to claim workers compensation so long as you reported your injury and there is some paper trail.
    Fendon Law Firm | Matt C Fendon
    In Arizona, you have 1 year from the date of injury to file a worker's compensation claim. Please call the Industrial Commission to confirm whether a claim was filed.
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    Make a worker's compensation claim.
    In California, work place injuries must be reported and have to be accepted or have a application filed within one year of the date of injury or the last providing of benefits. So it depends upon whether you were paid any temporary disability or medical treatment.
    Strickland Law, PLLC
    Strickland Law, PLLC | Jeffrey S. Strickland
    In Tennessee, you have one year from the date of last work comp related payment for TTD or authorized medical treatment to file for a benefit review conference. If you took no action 2.5 years ago, you have likely waived your potential claim. Contact counsel immediately.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    Sorry about your injury. Meet with a lawyer ASAP to discuss a worker's compensation claim.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    Consult a local attorney that regularly handle workers compensation cases. They will be able to tell you the rules of filing time limits, your rights, the value of any claim, etc.