What can I do if I filed for bankruptcy and then got into a car accident? 18 Answers as of August 24, 2011

I just filed for bankruptcy and then got into a car accident. The accident was my fault and my insurance won't cover all the damages. I am being held responsible to pay for the other drivers medical bills and injuries. What can I do?

Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
Fail to do something required so your case is dismissed. If you were drinking, the accident damages are not dischargeable.
Heupel Law
Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
If possible, let your case get dismissed and then re-file. Otherwise, you will have to pay all of the debts.
Jackson White, PC
Jackson White, PC | Spencer Hale
Are you in a chapter 7? If so, your current bankruptcy won't protect you from the expenses of the accident, but you are not without options. You should speak with an attorney.
Ross Smith, Attorney at Law
Ross Smith, Attorney at Law | Charles Ross Smith III
Good question! Sorry to see you in a bind. But there are some things that you can do. First, your insurance company is going to assign an attorney to defend you. If you have minimum coverage that has clearly been exceeded, they will simply write a check for the covered amount and leave you defenseless. But work with the defense attorney and make sure this is really true before they write the check. For a few hundred dollars, you may be able to hire your own attorney to "check the math" and make sure that your company isn't paying out too early. Also, just because damages exceed the covered amount does not mean that the injured person wants to waste time pursuing you. This is especially true if you have no assets. Lastly, you are still eligible to file a Chapter 13 plan and make payments through the Bankruptcy Court for 3 -5 years. Payments are determined by your ability to pay, but it's complicated. Go see an experienced Chapter 13 attorney. Good luck. Thank you for reading me. I hope you found this answer to be helpful. This answer is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is general information that should be discussed with your own attorney. Because the law in other jurisdictions is different and the facts of each case are different, consumers cannot rely on the opinions expressed here.
The Law Office of Jacqui Snyder
The Law Office of Jacqui Snyder | Jacqui Snyder
You can file a chapter 13 bankruptcy in order to prevent garnishment and have a little more control over how this is paid back. Taking this proactive step will also prevent the insurance company from suspending your license. If you can't pay it off inside the 5 year commitment period, the remaining amount will survive the bankruptcy. You are not currently entitled to a discharge in bankruptcy since you had filed so recently. Good luck!
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    Be glad you are not hurt and hire a lawyer.
    Discuss this with your lawyer (hopefully you did not make the mistake of filing pro se). If you are in a 13 you may be able to dismiss and refile. If you are in a 7 you may be able to convert to a 13 and dismiss. It is hard to get a 7 dismissed and refile, but again, you NEED a lawyer. This may or may not be solvable, but it is 100% certain you won't solve it pro se.
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    You need to speak to an attorney. You may have several options, but your question is not easy to evaluate or answer in a paragraph.
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law
    Judith A. Runyon, Esq. Attorney at Law | Judith A. Runyon
    Pay them.
    The Salas Firm
    The Salas Firm | Ron Salas
    Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you are ok. The new debt is post filing and cannot be discharged until you are eligible to file again, eight years after discharge.
    Unfortunately you can't get a discharge in a Chapter 7 again until 8 years after you filed the last case. You are going to have to pay the damages or settle the claim. There is a Chapter 13 that does allow you to pay the damages against you over a period of five years but that should be the last resort after you try to agree on a payment plan with the person or insurance company making the claim against you. If you are sued you need to get a lawyer to answer the complaint on time and try to resolve the claim before it goes to judgment.
    The general rule is that you can only include debts that were incurred at the time of filing.
    Melinda Murphy Dionne, PC
    Melinda Murphy Dionne, PC | Melinda Murphy Dionne
    I have had this situation happen with a client before. In his situation, we dismissed the bankruptcy case and filed a new case. Dismissing and filing a new case was the only way to include the post petition car accident debt.
    Tucker Legal Clinic
    Tucker Legal Clinic | Samuel Tucker
    You can voluntarily dismiss current bankruptcy then refile.
    You should speak with an attorney for specific advice, but you may want to consider withdrawing your Bankruptcy and refiling at a later date.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Every jurisdiction has a different response to this. I suggest you see a competent bankruptcy attorney to get the response from your court.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    If you have already filed your bankruptcy case and then got into an accident, then this debt will not be dischargeable. You can either get your case dismissed and re-file or pay the debt.