What can I do if I feel that I was a victim of a mortgage modification sham? 4 Answers as of December 13, 2013

I am trying to modify my mortgage. However, every time I return the paperwork they say it has not been notarized or signed correctly or they lose it. I have cooperated and paid their plan since July but now they say I did not complete the process.

Janke Legal Consulting | Bruce C. Janke
You are experiencing an all too typical problem. Many lenders do not seem to be acting in good faith to process loan modification applications. New York state has enacted legislation directed at this and a court in New Jersey has upheld a cause of action against a lender for bad faith negotiation. Not much on this in California yet.
You can complain to the attorney general but it is not likely they will listen much as you are one of thousands with the same problem.
Ronald Main & Associates | Tracian M. Laignel
Unfortunately your situation is quite common. Oklahoma's Attorney General is a good place to start. On its website you can fill out a complaint form. Additionally, Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma received a grant to assist people in your situation. I recommend contacting Legal Aid in your area and hopefully you will qualify for free counsel.
You can file a lawsuit against them and also you can report them to the Consumer Affairs Department.