What can I do if I feel that asbestos exposure caused my father's death? 16 Answers as of June 30, 2014

My father worked for Ford in the 60's and 70's. He died at the age of 34 with heart problem. He was exposed to something at the plant and he inhaled it and he got sick. He went to the company doctor then went back to work but after that exposure, he was ill and very weak and died of a heart problem very soon after. I do believe whatever happened at that plant ultimately caused his death like maybe asbestos.

Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
It is not possible for asbestos to cause heart failure.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
Unfortunately, the statute of limitations (time period in which you need to bring a lawsuit) has probably run. The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in Michigan is 3 years. It would also be difficult to prove a cause of death at this point without the body. If you'd like, you can usually speak with personal injury attorneys in your area free of charge for a consultation. They may have better news!
Thomas SanFilippo & Associates, LLC | Thomas SanFilippo
Asbestos exposer is a low standard of proof if there is a known exposure. What year did your father die? I would need to know more about your case before I could give you a thorough answer.
First, what you feel is completely irrelevant, since you are not a doctor, a lung specialist, a cardiologist, or an environmental specialist. You need someone who can connect the dots, and who has the credentials to give weight to their opinion.
Doroshow, Pasquale, Krawitz & Bhaya | Donald E. Marston
Asbestos related cases are extremely complicated. You should immediately consult with a law firm that specializes in such cases, as there are time limits on these cases. I would be glad to refer you to such a firm in Delaware.
Answer Applies to: Delaware
    EDWARD M. MILLER, PC
    EDWARD M. MILLER, PC | EDWARD M. MILLER
    Not my area of practice, but it seems likely that any claim would be barred by the statute of limitations.
    I doubt if you can do anything because of the passage of time. what city is this? There is a law firm in Salisbury who does a lot of such work in NC. Time is your biggest problem, and medical proof would also be a problem.
    What you "feel" and "believe" may indeed be correct, but you would need to be able to prove it. Usually asbestos exposure involves the lungs or the entire body, not usually a heart problem. Statute of limitations would be a big issue. IF you could get past that (doubtful) then you have to prove what he was exposed to ("like maybe" does not cut it) and then prove a liability case against the producers of that material. I don't think it serves any constructive purpose to dwell on this.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    You would need to have an autopsy report to show the cause of death and that it was from asbestosis. Without one you would be unable to prove a cause of death.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    That should definitely be looked into. It could have been something other than asbestos, too. Certainly, workplace laws protect against unsafe work conditions, and there may be more than one avenue or theory that can be pursued. The matter should be discussed in detail, and, in all likelihood, pursued further.
    The case appears barred by the Statute of limitations. He could have filed a Worker's Compensation claim against his employer, your mother could have made a claim for death benefits, and the suppliers of asbestos could have been sued. But asbestos normally injures the lungs and not directly the heart. Usually you have between 1-4 years to sue. You are much too late. See a WC attorney to see if there is any loophole you can slip through and to rest your mind.
    Consider consulting an experienced injury lawyer familiar with asbestos cases. Good luck.
    Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC
    Chalat Hatten Koupal & Banker PC | Linda Chalat
    I am so sorry for your loss, it obviously still weighs upon you heavily. But sadly, given the facts that you provide, it has been much too long to pursue a claim against Ford - just locating witnesses and documentation would be very difficult since at least 35 years have passed since the exposure. You would probably be dismissed out of court before learning anything. I suggest using your resources - time, energy and money - in some other way that brings you greater satisfaction and hopefully some peace.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Depending on when your father died you may now have a statue of limitations problem. You must establish through a doctor he died because of Asbestos and that he didn't get exposed anywhere else.
    Check your local bar assn to see if they can refer you to a lawyer who has had experience with asbestos cases. These are expensive and difficult cases to pursue. You need someone who's been through it.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    How long ago did your father die, and when was the most recent exposure at the Ford plant?