What can I do if I feel like I'm being harassed at work? 3 Answers as of June 20, 2011

My superintendent called me today and told me that a person using one of my school offices possibly needed to move. She asked me to not let him know yet. The person was my friend and therefore I let him know that he may be moving. He got upset and called the district office and then I received a phone call from the Superintendent needing to talk with me. She began yelling at me and telling me I was the worst person she has ever worked with and that this was the last straw. I told her that her yelling was unprofessional and I did not appreciate her attitude towards me. She said "you're done" and reassigned me to my trailer house, on district property, and made me turn in my keys to the school and told me that if I needed to be available during work hours and if I needed to go somewhere I needed to inform her first. She has embarrassed me in meetings and even told me to shut up in front of my fellow workers. I did not reveal any confidential information but she wrote me up for being insubordinate and unprofessional conduct. What can I do? I feel deflated and embarrassed as well as stressed during the year from her constant disrespect for me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink
Law Offices of Steven A. Fink | Steven Alan Fink
Hell hath no fury like a supervisor scorned. You disobeyed her instructions not to let him know, he created a problem for her and you are being punished for it. You were insubordinate and unprofessional. You have two choices. One, apologize to her for your actions and see if the two of you can establish a better relationship. Two, find a new job. You have no legal recourse as her actions do not rise to the level of illegal harassment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/20/2011
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Please contact the federal EEOC and/or your State's fair employment agency to see if you can file an employment complaint/charge. Also, you may consult with an attorney who handles employment discrimination matters initially.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 6/20/2011
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC
Rose, Senders & Bovarnick, LLC | Paul S. Bovarnick
There is little you can do unless you have an employment contract or are covered by a collective bargaining agreement. If her conduct is motivated by your age, race, gender, religion, disability or a few other categories, you may have some leverage. And if you have been made ill by stress caused by her conduct, you may have a workers compensation claim. Unfortunately, you are in a difficult situation, and you need to consult with a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 6/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: