What can I do if I changed the product price at a store and I was caught? 12 Answers as of July 11, 2014

I changed the price at Kroger last night and they caught me. The stuff I think is $150 worth. I'm really scared sir. I have dreams to keep through up and I never did some like that before. I never been in jail or court. I’m crying now sir because all my family think I’m good guy and I’m only the one to help my family to live. Please sir please from my heart give a advice.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get a good lawyer. See if you can get some form of diversion, where if you do everything they want then you end up with no record. A theft record lasts forever. What employer wants to? hire a thief?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 7/11/2014
Law Offices of Mark P. Jones
Law Offices of Mark P. Jones | Mark Jones
Hire an attorney to assist you. There may be pre-trial diversion or probation that you could inquire about.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/10/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
Your question requires an attorney consultation. It is not a simple question that can be answered on this type of forum. There are many factors that would need to be considered and evaluated. Were the police called? Were you arrested? Did you receive a citation, notice to appear in court and/or a court date?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/10/2014
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
It is a crime of moral turpitude, and if convicted you can kiss your career aspirations goodbye. Hire a lawyer before you get duped into a plea you will regret for life.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/10/2014
Michael J. Harris, Attorney at Law
Michael J. Harris, Attorney at Law | Michael Harris
You should hire a lawyer as soon as you can. A lawyer will need to review the evidence to see how you should proceed. This is considered a crime of dishonesty and many employers will fire you or refuse to hire you, not to mention possible probation or jail. If you do not handle this right, it could be on your record for the rest of your life. Do not speak to the police about this or discuss the facts with anyone other than an attorney for now.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 7/10/2014
    Law Offices of Steven J. Topazio
    Law Offices of Steven J. Topazio | STEVEN J TOPAZIO
    Shoplifting in Massachusetts is governed by statute. Massachusetts General Law c 266 ? 30A gives the police the right to arrest without a warrant any person they have probable cause to believe has committed the offense of shoplifting. All that is needed is a statement from the merchant that you shoplifted. This statement alone is enough to constitute probable cause to arrest. Shoplifting is defined as taking or intentionally paying less than the sale price of the merchandise. If you were not arrested you are fortunate. Since you were caught shoplifting, the merchant may notify you of its intent to seek damages by sending you a CIVIL DEMAND LETTER. This civil claim is separate from, and in addition to, any criminal action that might be prosecuted. Massachusetts General Law c 231 ? 85R ? gives a merchant the right to file a civil action for the recovery of damages for larceny or attempted larceny. You are not obligated to pay the civil demand unless and until the merchant sues you in court (usually small claims court) and then not until it wins a judgment against you. Since you are not obligated to pay the civil demand don?t pay it. Also, paying the civil demand will not prevent the merchant from filing an application for criminal complaint. If you were not arrested, then watch the mail as the court may mail you an application for criminal complaint for a clerk's hearing. At this hearing the Magistrate would decide if a criminal complaint should issue against you. An attorney is best equipped to handle these types of hearings and will give you the best chance of what to do so as to persuade the Magistrate not to issue the complaint. My best advice is to consult with an experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 7/10/2014
    Boehmer Law, LLC
    Boehmer Law, LLC | Eric L. Boehmer
    You could be charged with stealing. Make no statements without consulting an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 7/9/2014
    Barton Barton & Plotkin
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    You made a mistake. Fortunately, most judges will treat you leniently if this is a first time offense. You need to protect yourself by retaining criminal defense counsel-there are no short cuts here. If you want to pursue your dreams and avoid a criminal record, you need to retain counsel to advise and represent you in this matter. You can't expect to use a web-site like this, or the internet, to solve this problem for you. Good luck to you and your family.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 7/9/2014
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    You likely will be charged for Theft 3rd. In Washington, it is a gross misdemeanor with a sentencing range of 364 days in jail and $5,000 fine. As first offense, you may have the opportunity to enter a diversion program. If not, then you will likely be sentenced to attend a consumer awareness class, pay a fine, pay restitution, do community service, stay away from the store, have no further criminal violations and be on probation for one year. If a background check is conducted while under probation, it will show the Theft 3rd charge. This will impact your ability to get a loan, get a job and lease an apartment.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 7/9/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    Your best bet would be to hire an attorney to attempt to minimize your problems and hopefully keep this off of your permanent record. A conviction of a theft charge, or anything involving dishonesty, can have very significant future ramifications as to the opportunities you will have.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/9/2014
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    You could be charged with retail fraud or shoplifting. I would start looking for a criminal defense lawyer in the area to consult with.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 7/9/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney