What can I do if I can't afford to pay my spouses credit card bills? 16 Answers as of July 30, 2011

What do you do when you can't pay your credit card bills that you and your spouse lived on for a year.Then she gets a job and puts you on a weekly salary,just for food for the kids and some other household items.I worked for myself for over 10 years and now I'm having a hard time finding clients.Never once did I put my wife on a salary.I supported us for 8 years while she stayed home to raise kids.Now she wants a divorce and won't help pay my bills.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
File for chapter 7 and get rid of the bills for good.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/24/2011
Rosenberg & Press
Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
You need a family lawyer, divorce mediator, and perhaps a bankruptcy attorney. I'm not even sure there is a question here, but here is some advice: 1) start keeping a log or good records of all moneys in and out, expenditures and income 2) Make sure you know where all the accounts are and the status of each of them as well .3) Consult with a Divorce mediator/lawyer regarding your potential divorce mediation. 4) consult with a family lawyer about your rights and what you might expect for alimony. And finally, remember what Richard Pryor said, "Marriage is really tough because you have to deal with feelings and lawyers"
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 7/22/2011
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
You should look into debt resolution services, or possibly BK
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/22/2011
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
Sounds like you need to visit a divorce attorney that has some experience with bankruptcy and joint debts. We have both a bankruptcy and family law attorney in our office.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/21/2011
Burnham & Associates
Burnham & Associates | Stephanie K. Burnham
Please seek the assistance of a divorce attorney immediately to protect yourself.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 7/21/2011
    Florio Law Firm, PLLC
    Florio Law Firm, PLLC | Amber Morgan Florio, Attorney at Law
    A Chapter 7 Bankruptcy will discharge all unsecured debt, including credit card debt. You will receive a discharge roughly three months from the day you file, and you do not have to make payments to a trustee. Most Bankruptcy Attorneys offer FREE consultations. You sound like a good candidate for a Chapter 7, and might want to inquire about how a Chapter 7 could help you further.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 7/21/2011
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    Are the credit cards in your name or yours? If you have mutual debt a joint filing may be the best option.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/21/2011
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    Sometimes life hands you lemons. By "salary" do you mean "allowance"? That is kinda rugged. If you file bankruptcy it will wipe out your liability for those debts. You should probably do this, with or without her. Most importantly you should do it before the judge in the dissolution of marriage divides the debts and makes you liable forever. See a good lawyer now.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/21/2011
    Lake Forest Bankruptcy
    Lake Forest Bankruptcy | Anerio V. Altman, Esq.
    If your situation seems impossible to resolve, that's because it is. Honestly you need to get issues straight in your marriage if possible first. That debt is community property debt, not just your debt. She owes it as much as you. It doesn't matter what agreement you've set up between the two of you, the credit card companies consider you and her liable for the debt. If she won't even do that, you may need to file Bankruptcy individually. Simply put, if you don't have the money to pay the debts, and you don't have the assets to pay the debts, you can't pay the debts.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/21/2011
    Ashman Law Office
    Ashman Law Office | Glen Edward Ashman
    You started out asking about bills and then switched to asking about divorce. So I am not understanding your question but it is clear you need to call a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 7/21/2011
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    Sounds like a divorce lawyer can help with these problems- just be sure she gets the bills since she has the job, and show how the situatoon is now reversed and you should get the same benefits.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 7/21/2011
    Bankruptcy Law office of Bill Rubendall
    Bankruptcy Law office of Bill Rubendall | William M. Rubendall
    There are several alternatives to consider when you are unable to pay your credit card bills. First I would suggest consulting with consumer credit counselors as to eligibility to do a payment plan. Alternatively a chapter 13 payment plan could be considered. Another option is chapter 7 bankruptcy.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/21/2011
    Colorado Legal Solutions
    Colorado Legal Solutions | Stephen Harkess
    If you are heading toward divorce you should sit down with an attorney and at least talk over your situation. Martial debt will be split between you and you may be entilted to additional support from your spouse.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 7/21/2011
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    File bankruptcy and get as far away from her...
    Answer Applies to: Maryland
    Replied: 7/21/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney