What can I do if I cant afford to make payments on my credit cards? 27 Answers as of June 24, 2013

I have an outstanding debt with my credit cards. I have been telling them since the first of the year that I can't afford the payments that they have me at. I was on a hardship program all last year, and didn't miss a payment at all. But they say there is nothing else they can do for me. I only make $400.00 per month, and they want $450.00 per month. What do I do now?

Breckenridge and Walton
Breckenridge and Walton | Alan D. Walton
File bankruptcy.
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
Consider debt resolution programs or Bankruptcy.
Heupel Law
Heupel Law | Kevin Heupel
You should consider bankruptcy. It's the best option if you weren't successful on the hardship program.
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
Eventually the credit cards will sue you, get a judgment and a garnishment order. If you only make $400 a month you might qualify for a free or low fee BK through Metro Volunteer Lawyers or Colorado Legal Aid.
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
You stop paying. Your priority should be food, shelter, medical, retirement savings, etc.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    Bankruptcy may be a viable option when you can no longer handle your debt liabilities.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc.
    Bird & VanDyke, Inc. | David VanDyke
    Well you borrowed the money and now can't pay. It sounds like you only have 1 choice. Bankruptcy.
    Holmes Law Offices
    Holmes Law Offices | Martin M. Holmes
    You may qualify for a bankruptcy discharge. Once you file a bankruptcy the creditors can take no further action to collect the debt. That means no phone calls, no bills, no law suits etc. Once a discharge is entered the creditor can never again attempt to collect the debt. Whether a bankruptcy is right for you depends on quite a number of factors. It may not be necessary. You should speak to a qualified bankruptcy attorney to find out.
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu
    The Law Offices of Kristy Qiu | Mengjun Qiu
    Bankruptcy will wipe everything out. You won't even have to pay for filing fee.
    Sounds like you are judgement proof, meaning there is nothing they can do you except call and harass you. You can stop the calls by sending them a letter telling them to stop calling. Send it certified mail, return receipt. Log any calls after that. You can sue them for calling you after you send that letter. If you can, take a picture if the incoming call. You should also consider bankruptcy.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    You should consult with an attorney to discuss your options such as bankruptcy. You may be able to eliminate all your debt and get a fresh start.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    You might consider bankruptcy.
    D T Pham Associates, PLLC
    D T Pham Associates, PLLC | Duncan T Pham
    File for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
    Bankruptcy Law Center
    Bankruptcy Law Center | Bill Zurinskas
    Chapter 7 bankruptcy is often the best option to eliminate credit card debt. The other options are debt consolidation and debt settlement. Your income level is probably too low for the other options to work.
    The Law Offices of Katie M. Stone
    The Law Offices of Katie M. Stone | Katie M. Stone
    I highly suggest that you make an appointment with an attorney to discuss bankruptcy to see if it is the right thing for you to do. Most attorney's will offer a free initial consultation. With the limited information that you provided, I can determine that bankruptcy is something you should explore; however, ask a lot of questions and in your appointment ask what other options that you have. An experienced attorney should give you the right advice for your situation, income, expenses, amount of debt and assets that you have. You may want to explore debt settlement options as well; however, with your limited income this might not be feasible. I hope you found this answer useful.
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis
    Law Offices of Joseph A. Mannis | Todd Mannis
    You might want to consult with a bankruptcy attorney. With most of us, the initial consultation is free.
    Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
    Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
    You can look into credit counseling, bankruptcy or debt negotiation. They are all options and they all have their inherent risks. But at this point, you have to consider since you are already up against the wall what would be the best choice for you to manage your debt and get you moving out of it. An attorney can discuss each option with you in detail.
    G. Anthony Yuthas & Assoc.
    G. Anthony Yuthas & Assoc. | Tony Yuthas
    You should meet with an attorney and consider a chapter 7 bankruptcy filing. You don't seem to make enough to sustain yourself so a workout program probably can not be of much assistance.
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley
    Law Office of Maureen O' Malley | Maureen O'Malley
    You can file bankruptcy, and you should qualify for a free lawyer. Contact your local Legal Aid office.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    Sounds like you qualify for a chapter 7 bankruptcy and you may discharge your debt.