What can I do if I can't afford to file for bankruptcy? 17 Answers as of October 14, 2012

Obviously I can't pay my bills or anything else so how am I supposed to pay to file for bankruptcy and if I have to have a lawyer, how can I pay them?

Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
There are many different options - some are free. Please understand that bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step. Most Arizona bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation about the basics of bankruptcy.
LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC
LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC | Margaret L. Evans
Finding a source of funds to pay a lawyer and the filing fee is YOUR job to do.
It is a cost vs benefit calculation. The lawyer provides a service that is a benefit to you.
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
Many people run into this problem and the solution is to work dilligently on cutting back spending and saving the money necessary to pay your attorney to get it done so you can get a fresh start.
Law Office of Norman Moore
Law Office of Norman Moore | Norman P Moore Jr
Feel free to contact an attorney to discuss it.
    Balena Law Firm
    Balena Law Firm | William Balena
    There is a difference between insolvency and the destitute. If you are insolvent in bankruptcy may be a reasonable alternative for you. If you don't have anything, and you do not have sufficient assets for a creditor to take in a collection proceeding you just may not be a suitable candidate for bankruptcy. If your problem is simply not having enough funds at this moment to fail. Some possibilities. The first would be to stop paying any bills that you plan to discharge in bankruptcy. If you have already done that then your options will be to either rely on friends and family to help you pay for the bankruptcy, or if you have a 401 (k), or other retirement savings you might want to Those funds only to the extent necessary to file bankruptcy.
    Bankruptcy is largely a program designed to help the middle class with substantial debt. It cannot end your obligation to pay your living expenses. If you truly cannot afford to pay for the cost of filing bankruptcy, bankruptcy may not be appropriate for you. State laws provide protection for the indigent under the exemption laws, which vary widely from state to state. If you are making at or near minimum wages, or work less than full time, you may not be at risk of a wage garnishment. There are several strategies people use to find money to pay their attorney. If I offered to give you $25,000 within a week if you gave me $1,500, I am sure you would find a way to come up with the $1,500. That's what bankruptcy is about - you give me $1,500 and I make your large debt disappear - just like handing you actual money to pay off those debts.
    Bankruptcy lawyers deal with your question daily, you should contact one immediately.
    You can complete the required forms yourself, complete the consumer credit counseling course and request a fee waiver from the court. However, many of my clients ask the same thing and often with a little restructuring of their finances can easily pay for their attorney.
    William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
    You can file Chapter 7 bankruptcy for as little as $1200. You may qualify to file Chapter 13 which consists of a payment plan over a 3 to 5 year period you only need to give a few hundred dollars for filing fees if you qualify for Chapter 13. Some people file the paperwork themselves, but I do not advise it. In summary, you need to be resourceful in obtaining the $1200 if you file Chapter 7; borrow from a family member, etc.
    You can file the bankruptcy on your own if you cant afford an attorney. Also, you can file for a fee waiver to see if the court will waive your filing fee.
    You will have to find a way to pay your attorney or you can file without an attorney, but you should check on the bankruptcy website for your district to get instructions.
    The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm
    The Northwest Debt Relief Law Firm | Thomas A McAvity
    Our firm offers payment plans, enabling you to pay the majority of your attorney fees in monthly installments after your case is filed.
    Generally, you stop paying for the debts which are dischargeable and that is the source of funds used to pay the filing fee, other costs, and attorney's fees.
    Gregory J. Wald, Attorney at Law
    Gregory J. Wald, Attorney at Law | Gregory J. Wald
    If you qualify financially, there may be an organization of volunteer lawyers in your area that provides free or reduced fee services.
    Moore Taylor & Thomas PA
    Moore Taylor & Thomas PA | Jane Downey
    Often you can make payments to your lawyer. Sometimes your lawyer can give you tips on debts you might not need to pay if you are filing for bankruptcy and you can take that money and use it toward your lawyer. Other people may get family members or their church to assist with the attorney's fees. Sometimes a free lawyer can be available such as through the pro boon program of the SC Bar. Finally, you can file yourself, but that is not advisable of course.
    The Salas Firm
    The Salas Firm | Ron Salas
    There are scores of people in your same position and you may absolutely file your case on your own and ask for the court to waive the filing fee, so the cost is essentially zero except for the time (8-10 hours) it will take you complete the petition. What I would tell you is that filing bankruptcy is a fairly simple process but it is not easy and I have seen numerous debtors prepare their own bankruptcy and end up paying more to the trustee/court than they would have paid an attorney to prepare their bankruptcy. It is possible to find a reputable bankruptcy attorney that will charge around $1,000.00, so shop around and remember that you are riding yourself of tens of thousands of dollars of debts for less than $1,500.00 in total costs.