What can I do if I cannot pay the $12,000 cedit card debit? 11 Answers as of May 01, 2014

My husband died and I'm in a nursing home with no money.

Ignore it or file bankruptcy.
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
If you contact us, we can discuss all the options you have. But I cannot know the options unless I know a little bit more about your situation.
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell | Andrellos Mitchell
You might want to consider filing a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy to discharge your credit card debt as well as other debts.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
1. Is it your debt or your husband's? Are you a responsible party, an authorized user, or don't know. 2. If you are not a responsible party, you owe nothing. 3. If you are a responsible party and have no assets/ income, advise the creditor of that fact. 4. Does the creditor know your husband died? If you are not sure, inform them.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
Bankruptcy.
    The Troglin Firm | William M. Troglin
    My assumption is that your Social Security Benefits are your only income and that money goes to the nursing home for your care. You are what we call judgment proof simply meaning if a company sued you and got a judgment it could not place a garnishment against your Social Security income. You have two choices - first contact all or the creditors, let them know your circumstances and that you cannot pay the debt. They may just go away. However, if the creditors persist in trying to collect the debt, you can file a bankruptcy and their debts will be discharged meaning you will not owe them any longer. If you need legal assistance any number of attorneys, me included, would offer you free assistance.
    If you have no income or assets then you are not collectible debt anyway.
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
    You can file bankruptcy or let them sue you. If you have no money or assets, you are essentially judgment proof.
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    Most likely you are judgment proof. Even if a creditor gets a judgment against you, the creditor cannot take your social security benefits to pay the debt.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    I would need to know more, but if you have no money or assets you are uncollectable. Also, it is your husband's estates debt unless you were a co-debtor. Buying a few minutes with an attorney would be very wise.
    If you have assets to protect you could consider a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, settle for less than the whole amount or do nothing since if you have neither assets or income you are effectively "judgment proof".