What can I do if I cannot pay the $12,000 cedit card debit? 11 Answers as of May 01, 2014

My husband died and I'm in a nursing home with no money.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Ignore it or file bankruptcy.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 5/1/2014
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
If you contact us, we can discuss all the options you have. But I cannot know the options unless I know a little bit more about your situation.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/1/2014
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell | Andrellos Mitchell
You might want to consider filing a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy to discharge your credit card debt as well as other debts.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 4/30/2014
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
1. Is it your debt or your husband's? Are you a responsible party, an authorized user, or don't know. 2. If you are not a responsible party, you owe nothing. 3. If you are a responsible party and have no assets/ income, advise the creditor of that fact. 4. Does the creditor know your husband died? If you are not sure, inform them.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/30/2014
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq.
Stacy Joel Safion, Esq. | Stacy Joel Safion
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/30/2014
    The Troglin Firm | William M. Troglin
    My assumption is that your Social Security Benefits are your only income and that money goes to the nursing home for your care. You are what we call judgment proof simply meaning if a company sued you and got a judgment it could not place a garnishment against your Social Security income. You have two choices - first contact all or the creditors, let them know your circumstances and that you cannot pay the debt. They may just go away. However, if the creditors persist in trying to collect the debt, you can file a bankruptcy and their debts will be discharged meaning you will not owe them any longer. If you need legal assistance any number of attorneys, me included, would offer you free assistance.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 4/30/2014
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
    If you have no income or assets then you are not collectible debt anyway.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 4/30/2014
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
    You can file bankruptcy or let them sue you. If you have no money or assets, you are essentially judgment proof.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/30/2014
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    Most likely you are judgment proof. Even if a creditor gets a judgment against you, the creditor cannot take your social security benefits to pay the debt.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Replied: 4/30/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    I would need to know more, but if you have no money or assets you are uncollectable. Also, it is your husband's estates debt unless you were a co-debtor. Buying a few minutes with an attorney would be very wise.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 4/30/2014
    Patrick W. Currin, Attorney at Law | Patrick Currin
    If you have assets to protect you could consider a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, settle for less than the whole amount or do nothing since if you have neither assets or income you are effectively "judgment proof".
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/30/2014
Click to View More Answers: