What can I do if I cannot afford to complete my ACD program? 4 Answers as of March 28, 2011

I was charged with Criminal Possession in the 7th degree. The public defender got me a 6th month ACD after I tested clean on all my drug tests. The judge also said I have to complete the program. I've contacted the program and they told me I will owe $230 a week. I have a job and don’t qualify for insurance for a full year. My girlfriend is pregnant and already left her job. I also take care of her other child. The bills are piling up and I am afraid I won't be able to afford the program anymore, which will lead to a warrant out for my arrest. Is there any way to go back to court and make the judge change his mind?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
You can have your public defender suggest a way to get an extension of the program or possibly find a free program such as AA or NA.You can ask the court to allow community service instead of the program, or see if there are any programs that are offered for people who are unable to pay. It does not hurt to ask, but you must have an attorney address the issue as son as possible before you are in violation of the ACD. If the court says you must complete the program and does not grant an extension then you must borrow the money, get insurance, or find a way to earn money from home with a job that you or your girlfriend can do part-time which is available on the internet such as addressing envelopes or telemarketing. These jobs are not easy to find, but if you search the paper and job finders as well as a Google search for "work from home" jobs you will see that there are many ways to earn a few hundred dollars a week from your home, sometimes using a computer or telephone to make sales or get business for local merchants who hire people without experience on a part-time basis and will train you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/28/2011
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
It is possible ( although not very likely ) that the judge will change his mind regarding completing the program. You should hire an attorney to try to help you.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/24/2011
Raiser & Kenniff, PC
Raiser & Kenniff, PC | Steve Raiser
First see if Medicaid will cover the treatment. If not, legal aide should be able to renegotiate with the judge. He may offer a brief jail alternative or possibly community service or possibly there is another program that you can go to that will accept Medicaid.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/24/2011
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
Yes. Have your lawyer put the case back on the calendar. Bring proof of whatever it is you did do, and explain to the court that you are all financially tapped out. Have your lawyer ask that the conditions of the ACD be considered satisfied, or set new conditions that are withour cost, such as community service.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: