What can I do if I believe my husband married me to become a resident? 3 Answers as of July 27, 2011

In September 2009 my husband and I got married. He had been previously married, and he married her in order to gain his permanent residence and i was aware of this, he actually paid the girl, but she never showed up for the immigration interview. While we were dating for a short 4 months he swept me off of my feet treated me like every girl dreams to be treated, not even a month into our relationship he asked me to marry him. We went to an immigration lawyer who said we should get married within the next 6 months. We got married only 4 months after being together. After we got married he started treating me competely different, he became emotinally abusive and nothing I ever did was good enough for him. For the past 8-10 months I have pretty much been on my own and he has been unavailable to me. He says it is because he is studying all the time but I have a hard time in believing that. He has random womens numbers in his phone and when they call he will not answer in front of me. I left him about two weeks ago and he has never seemed more desperate. I am starting to feel unsafe. He hasnt told me in the last 7 months that he loved me but now that I have left him he wants to tell me he loves me. He showed up at my church the other day to tell my mother he came there to see me and wanted to take me to breakfast. I came into work today to find he had left flowers on my desk. I feel I am being violated. Do I have proof that he married me for his residency? His conditional residency will not end until April of 2012 and I feel like he is trying to keep me in there until then. What should I do? I dont love him anymore, I married him because i did love him or maybe it was lust and I liked the good things he was promising.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You can write a letter to USCIS with certain evidence, such as a confession, a concurrent affair.. etc.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/27/2011
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
Based on your description of the events, you should just divorce him and move on with your life. It's up to the USCIS to decide whether he has committed marriage fraud(based on your story I think it would be hard to prove). After the divorce, he will need to file a waiver of joint petition to remove the condition.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
If you believe that he married you only for an immigration benefit, then you can notify the USCIS by letter with details. If you want to, divorce him. It will then be up to him to explain to the USCIS that the marriage was bona fide.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: