What can I do if I applied for an F4 visa but now want a J1 visa? 3 Answers as of February 28, 2011

My uncle filed an application for F4 immigrant visa for my mother and her dependent kids in 2005(I was 16 years old),the application was in my mother's name ,we haven't got the visa yet and now I want to join a university which is going to sponsor me for J1 visa, the university sent me an application to be filled out, in the application there's a question asking if I have or anyone has filed for me an application for immigrant visa .Do I have to answer yes or no because the application is in mother's name? If I have to say yes, my uncle filed an application for me, will this answer affect my application for J1 visa?

The short answer is to say yes, attach a complete explanation, and don't worry, because as a minor at the time you are not responsible.
In whatever situation, you have to tell the truth!!
You have not applied for an immigrant visa. You are merely the derivative beneficiary of a petition filed on behalf of your mother. You can answer "NO" to that questions.