What can I do if I am wrongly accused of shoplifting? 3 Answers as of August 08, 2011

Last week my sister and I were shopping in walmart. We always take our bags back to walmart when we shop and reuse them. We both have bi polar and OCD and are on medication which controls our outbursts of anger and such. Anyway, in walmart when we shop we go ahead and put our items in bags before we get to the checkout so that things are organized right. I paid for my things and took them to the car and waited for my sister to pay for hers, she never came out. I went back in with my daughter and found a police officer with my sister and walmart employees and her grandbaby saying that she was shoplifting. She had went to the front of the store with her buggy to get a bottle of water for the baby, she never left the store, she never went past the security alarms but they stopped her and said they have her on surveillance stealing things and bagging them. She explained to them what she was doing but she was arrested anyway. Then they tried to say I took my things, I hunted and hunted for my receipt but in all the mayhem I could not find it. They said they saw me bag things in the store. I was NOT arrested. Now we are hearing that Walmart is still going to file a warrant for me and that my sister may serve jail time for this. What can we do? Neither of us has ever got in trouble for anything.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
You need to get an attorney immediately to protect your rights. Wallmart could criminally charge both of you and request jail time, so you really need an attorney in this matter.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 7/26/2011
Law Office of Richard Williams
Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
If you have been worongly accused of shoplifting I suggest that you hire an attorney, demand copies of the security tapes from Wal-Mart, and plan on maintaing your innonence by going to trial.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 7/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: