What can I do if I am receiving harassing calls from an unknown number? 10 Answers as of February 18, 2014

I am receiving calls from an unknown number. The individual states that I need to return their call immediately. They give me a case number and state that they'll call my friends and family. They call multiple times a day from phone #302-2**-517*. Each message threatens to call relatives and other people. They even knew that I was in the military for a period of time (I'm unsure how). Today, they called, with a very strange tone, leaving a message stating "well, I guess the is useless. I guess I'll just have to call the sheriff's office." I'm unsure what the matter is about, but I have been scammed in the past by an individual claiming to file a court case. Then, I gave away information and they took money from my account. I'm afraid this could be happening again. How can I be sure? I would like the harassment to stop.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Robert M. Turkewitz
Law Office of Robert M. Turkewitz | Robert M. Turkewitz
You may be able to take legal action and recover damages under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. Highly recommend that you consult with a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 2/18/2014
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
Why do you not return the call to see what it is about. Just do not give any personal information. Otherwise, look on line at your local superior court for the case number to see what the case is about. There is no reason why the sheriff would be involved unless it was an eviction case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/18/2014
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
I have encountered this sort of thing before. It is illegal, but catching up with the perpetrators is another story. You will need some investigation. Contact your state attorney general consumer fraud division, see if they can help. If these people are doing it to you, they are probably doing it to others as well.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/18/2014
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
This is a scam; one of my clients is receiving the same call. You can report it to the Attorney General in your state and you can just hang up.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 2/18/2014
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
Ask the phone company to help you determine who is calling. Hire an investigator to help you. Tell the police. Harassing phone calls violate the law.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 2/18/2014
Click to View More Answers: