What can I do if I am divorced and my son is 16 he wants to live me? 11 Answers as of June 24, 2013

Webster & Associates | Anita Webster
Get the agreement of the other parent or file a court action for custody.This response is intended to provide general information only and is not a substitute for speaking to an attorney.
Glenn Milgraum PC
Glenn Milgraum PC | Glenn P. Milgraum
If there is a custody Order in place and you are the non-custodial parent, you would have to bring a motion for change of custody, or get the custodial parent to agree to the change. Keep in mind that such a change will by necessity change any child-support Orders.
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation
Elizabeth Jones, A Professional Corporation | Elizabeth Jones
Your 16 year old can have a voice and has a right to address the court. The decision,however, is not his since he is still a minor. A court would decide based on the best interests of the child. Have you discussed this with the other parent?
Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
File for a change of custody.
GordenLaw, LLC
GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
You need to talk to an attorney to file a modification. You will need to prove substantial change in circumstances and your son's best interests show he should reside with you.
    Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck
    Law Offices of Jill K. Whitbeck | Jill K. Whitbeck
    You need to bring a motion to modify custody. There is much more involved than just where the child wants to live.
    File a petition in the family court for change of placement, and state the reasons for the request along with your prayer.
    Law Office of Jay R. Mueller
    Law Office of Jay R. Mueller | Jay Mueller
    You could file a motion to modify the child custody or parenting plan and see if the Court is willing to do so.
    Answer Applies to: New Mexico
    You file for a change of custody with the court if the other parent does not agree.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    If you are not the physical custodian, you need to file a Child support modification action. At your son's age he does have the right to select which parent he wants to live with.