What can I do if I am being Sued to Leave My Home? 8 Answers as of May 02, 2011

I have been paying a company that has been taking my money and saying that they have been taking care of my bankruptcy problems towards my mortgage. I just recently got information that I am being sued by the Federal National Mortgage Association. What steps do I need to take to not lose my house and with these people not taking care of the business they have been getting paid for?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis
Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
Chapter 13 bankruptcy may be available to you to stop a foreclosure and propose a repayment plan that will stretch out the arrearage of your mortgage.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 5/2/2011
Benson Law Firm
Benson Law Firm | David Benson
Check with your state's attorney general and the Better Business Bureau to make sure this company is legitimate. There are many outfits these days making promises they do not intend to keep. A qualified bankruptcy lawyer can assist you in this effort.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 4/13/2011
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC
Mercado & Hartung, PLLC | Christopher J. Mercado
You need to contact the company you are going through for resolving your debts. If you are in WA, my firm offers debt collection and defense services. Contact us, we offer free consultations.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/12/2011
Burnham & Associates
Burnham & Associates | Stephanie K. Burnham
You are in a tough position, and unfortunately it appears that the company that you have hired to assist you through this difficulty is not succeeding as you had hoped. You should contact the company who has been taking your money as well as the company that is suing you to determine what the current status of the proceeding is. You may end up having to file a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy to protect your home if you cannot resolve the situation with the mortgage company. You may also have a potential suit against the company that is handling your debt solutions however, you should not rely on that potential suit to save your home.
Answer Applies to: New Hampshire
Replied: 4/12/2011
Ferguson & Ferguson
Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
Many of these companies are not above board. You can try to negotiate with mortgage company or consider bankruptcy. I would sit down with a bankruptcy attorney and see what they think you can do.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 4/11/2011
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed
    Bankruptcy Law Office of Robert Weed | Robert Weed
    It sounds like you have been scammed. The Federal Trade Commission tries to enforce regulations that stop that, but they keep popping up because they are so profitable. They take your money and don't do anything at all. If you hire a lawyer, it should be one with an office in your community. Someone you can look in the eye. Someone with his credentials on the wall. A place where you could send the cops if he just steals your money.
    Answer Applies to: Virginia
    Replied: 4/11/2011
    The Law Office of Mark J. Markus
    The Law Office of Mark J. Markus | Mark Markus
    The first thing you should do is schedule a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney in your area to assess your situation and advise you of your options. When you say you've been paying a company to take "care of (your) bankruptcy problems towards your mortgage" I don't know what you mean. Did you file a bankruptcy case? Is this firm a law firm that is going to file a bankruptcy case for you? If they are, you may want to switch attorneys. If they are not, then as I suggested, you should find a qualified attorney immediately.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/11/2011
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    Report them to the local United States Trustee's Office. You can find the office near you on the Web. You need to see a lawyer ASAP. *Anytime someone * *is collecting money from you on a monthly basis.....they are scamming you.*
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/11/2011
Click to View More Answers: