What can I do if I am being accused of being the guilty party in an accident? How? 8 Answers as of August 26, 2015

I was making a turn and he t-boned me. He says that it is my fault but he hit me in northbound traffic while he was going south. How can I defend myself? I was taken to the hospital.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Robinette Legal Group, PLLC
Robinette Legal Group, PLLC | Jeffery Robinette
If the other driver files a claim with your insurance company, your insurance company will provide a defense lawyer to represent you. The truth of the collision will be ferreted out through research including the police report, witnesses, and accident reconstruction experts. Since you were injured, you should speak to a personal injury attorney, Most good attorneys will offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case.
Answer Applies to: West Virginia
Replied: 8/26/2015
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
If you are being sued and/or a claim letter has been sent to you, turn it over to your vehicle insurer that insured you on the date of the incident. They will respond and hire any counsel that may be needed. They will do this at their expense as it is their duty under your insurance policy. If you are talking about a civil infraction (traffic ticket) you can either represent yourself or hire an attorney. If you contest the matter, you need some evidence to show your "story" is the correct one in order to have a chance at prevailing. If you were injured in the crash and you have some facts to prove your "story" about the other side being at fault, you can make a claim for your injuries against the other party. Such a claim has a # of legal requirements that must be met before the claim would be valid and it's usually best to consult local counsel for an analysis about the merits of any such claim. Also, your insurer, in MI, is responsible for any No Fault Benefits, but there are also several requirements to "perfect" such a claim, so again, my advice is to seek local counsel for a thorough review of your facts and your legal options. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/26/2015
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Your insurer should provide you with a defense. You may need one. Contact them without delay.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 8/25/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Hey! Hire a lawyer. You may have a claim against the other guy for your injuries.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/25/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
The first thing to do is to make a claim to your insurance carrier if you are in Michigan, as it is a no-fault state. Your insurance company has a duty to defend you from any liability claim. If there is a ticket issued to you then you will have to defend yourself and provide your own attorney in court on that issue.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/25/2015
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    Report the incident to your insurance company who will appoint a lawyer to represent you.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    Get a copy of the accident report and see who the investigating officer puts at fault. While they are not the bottom line on fault, they're usually right. Turn the matter over to your insurance company and let them handle it. Good luck.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 8/25/2015
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    If you turned in front of the other driver, unless he was speeding and you can prove it, you were careless for not waiting for the other driver to pass.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 8/25/2015
Click to View More Answers: