What can I do if I accrued debt while caring for someone else's child? Posted on June 07, 2011

In 2005 I was caring for a friend's child while he was in prison. The child needed medical attention so he signed a form giving me permission to seek medical attention on his behalf. When he got out of prison, I gave him the medical bills and he said he would take care of them. I lost touch with them, and other than hearing he was back in and out of prison every now and then- I never spoke to him again. Fast forward to the present- I am in the process of purchasing a house and found out those medical bills had gone to collections. I called the debt collector to try to reason and they said I was technically responsible because I signed and suggested I pursue the father. So I paid- but now what are my options? What is the statute of limitations on this? Does it matter that I couldn't have even reached the father even if I had found out sooner because he has been in prison majority of the time?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: